Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

which chip is best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 02:18 AM
Steve W
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 40 Posts
Actually, Porsche surprisingly barely changed their chip mappings from 84 to 89. The differences in power ratings were just the way Porsche decided to rate their motors. There is a thread at Pelican Parts disecting the maps of various performance chips and also show the differences between a stock 84 chip and stock 89 chip.

<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58173" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58173</a>
Old 05-06-2002, 12:58 PM
Peter Kelly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by druck:
<strong>Mass Air flow sensor conversion,cat tube, free flow muffler, high temp wires that conduct SLIGHTLY better spark and you think you're getting 40+ hp and 40+flbs am I getting this right? Please dont takes this the wrong way, but you guys are out of your minds. Marketing has really got all of you. Realize that the 3.6 with 11:1 compression twin plug, allowing substantially more agressive ignition curve gives you 250. Wake up guys stop wasting your money.
d.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I am not sure what your point is. If you read my post about dyno numbers, you will see that I probably have gained 40 engine HP. My total expenditure is under $ 2500. If you are implying that I can do a 3.6 swap into my 89 Carrera for anthing close to that number, I don't believe you.

If you are implying that I could buy a 964 or 993 and sell my 89... no thanks.
Old 05-06-2002, 06:28 PM
druck
Former Vendor

Peter,
It's only for comparison. The changes in the 3.6 vs the 3.2 shows @25% gain in hp. The mass air gives great induction sound as does the sport exhuast. Maybe I came on to strong, but it's quite unlikely that a 35-40 hp gain and equal % in torque is realized with these mods. Look at the Euro 3.2 with 10:1 comp and ignition and fuel curves to match, it's only gaining 15 -16% hp. BTW, 10.5:1 was the ideal comp. for the 3.2 engine. Porsche plotted power figures for comp. of 9.5-11:1 and found the highest figures at 10.5:1. They backed off to err on the conservative side(for 98 octane gas).Conventional thinking would have you believe 11:1 would give more power, it's all about engine design. Twin plug, that's another story. So you can imagine that just allowing slightly better breathing will not realize the power figures gains stated above. Oh well, what do I know.
d.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:36 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

A bit of a different perspective: My '87 Carrera came with an Autothority chip, which I replaced with the stock chip to put the rev limiter back to its normal value. I use this as a track car, and I prefer to have the rev limiter set lower so I don't worry too much about it in the excitement of cornering/shifting/avoiding traffic/etc. I didn't notice any difference in power and I have more peace of mind.

If I ever decide to chip the car again, I'll get one from Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems, who can burn the chip with a rev limiter value I can live with.

Will
Old 05-07-2002, 09:29 AM
Peter Kelly
Advanced

Druck

Don't want to sound confrontational, but you are making statements based on stuff you have heard, read, or found on the internet.

My experience is with actually doing the work and dynoing the car.

Sorry, but I prefer to belive that which I have first hand knowledge of.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:00 AM
gr8fl4porsche
Intermediate

TP,

2 years ago, when I first began driving my 87, I felt it was lacking power and starting thinking about chips and bolt on hp increases. I have been reading this board ever since then and decided to follow the sum of all advice.

1. Repair, replace, clean every critical part of the cars ignition/electrical system. New plugs, wires, cap, rotor, dme relay, clean the grounds, head temp sensor, clean fuse panel, etc.
The difference may impress you.

2. Restore the cars suspension/brakes/tires or upgrade for about the same money and time. Bigger can be better.

3. Learn to drive in the 4000 to 6700rpm range.

4. These tips will take up most of your time and money. If your still not satisfied, start
messing with the motor.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:51 PM
Chris Bennet
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Peter Kelly:
<strong>If he is going to do Mass air flow, then he needs to get the chip with the air flow meter. I have the autothority kit on my 89, and it dynos at 210 rear wheel HP, which translates to something around 245 engine HP, which to me was a worthwhile improvement over stoc (217 engine HP)

The difference is very noticable driver the car before and after the change.</strong><hr></blockquote>
Peter,
Did you happen to dyno it before the change? If so what did you get for RWHP? Has anyone got a stock RWHP figure?
thanks,
Chris

Quick Reply: which chip is best?