Idle problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 03:30 PM
gregg911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Idle problems

1980 911SC

I have replaced my fuel pump with a new Bosch and can't seem to get the idle set to a point that the car will start and idle while warming up and then idle correctly once warmed. I have to rev the car when cold during the first 30 seconds or so and once warm, the idle hunts around between 300 and 1300 and occasionally stalls after abruptly letting off the throttle. I have adjusted the idle and the mixture and can't get it right. I know that I have seen this topic written about over and over and over again. I've seen lots of suggestions but I don't think that I have ever seen anyone post "I did .........and it worked for me". I have also seen something regarding the AAV (auxilary air valve) and it's removal in improving the idle on SC's. Do I completely remove the AAV or just plug it? Is it like a gall bladder, really needs to be there, but you can live without it?
Old 03-23-2003, 09:47 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get a fuel pressure test gauge kit.. then you gotta check your cold pressure and warm pressure.. and sometimes the AAV gets mixed up w/the AAR.. the AAV has the elect heating element that increases idle when cold.. the other contraption I don't know much about.. only that it can cause hunting when cold starting.. and that you could disconnect it..do a search

Quick Reply: Idle problems