targa tops in rain/snow

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 07:08 PM
VWpete
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post targa tops in rain/snow

Hey there,
Just curious if targa tops leak alot in the rain/ winter months.
I'm not planning on driving the 911 I haven't found yet hehe, in these times...
Just curious.
Thanks,
Pete
Old 06-23-2001, 08:56 AM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

Pete,
I have an 83SC Targa and yes it does leak a very tiny bit under a hard rain.I don't find it a problem,the enjoyment I get from driving the car more than makes up for it.
Old 06-23-2001, 11:10 AM
Lane
Intermediate

I'll second Chucks comment on the leaking. We just had well over 18 inches of rain here a couple of weeks ago and my Targa got caught out in it a couple of times. It set there for hours in the down pour, I just knew it had to have been flooded but it wasn't. My seals and top are in fairly good shape especially with the miles on it [122k]and it's also my daily driver, so I can't really tolerate a leaking top.
Lane
Old 06-23-2001, 10:47 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Pay particular attention to the targa seal at the top of the windsheild, these get torn up taking the top on and off, the latches will catch the rubber if the PO wasn't careful. The most chronic leaks seam to come at the front corners of the targa tops just above the quarter window. sometimes if you park the car in the rain at the right incline you may get a drip on the corner of the drivers seat. Also inspect the interior of the door pockets for previous evidence of water...(by the way if you're still looking for a really good targa I've got a sweet 84, and the price is comming down...If you're interested i can email pics)

Quick Reply: targa tops in rain/snow