Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

RECARO SEATS FOR OLDER DRIVER

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:24 PM
ayd
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RECARO SEATS FOR OLDER DRIVER

NEED AN OPINION. AM AN OLDER DRIVER (87 911) WITH LOWER BACK PROBLEM. USING CAR FOR TOURING AND AN OCCASIONAL DE EVENT. HAVE ORIGINAL NON SPORT SEATS IN CAR.
LOOKING AT RECARO SEATS, THE SPORTSTER CS OR THE SPORT. I FIT A LITTLE BETTER IN THE SPORTSTER CS, BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE LUMBAR SUPPORT. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THESE SEATS? ALL HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:56 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Well, I'm pretty old (63) too. My '87 has a pair of older Recaro SE's that have have been reupholstered to match my Marine Blue interior.

I don't have any back issues but for me, the Recaros are FAR more comfortable than the original standard issue leather seats were. The SE's (which I don't think are available anu longer) don't have adjustable lumbar support either.

Last edited by jackb911; 05-27-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm older than both of you (64) I think and I too, need solid lumbar & thigh support.

As a Recaro dealer, I can tell you that one can fit additional lumbar pads behind the cushion precisely where it fits you.

No worries, pick the seats that you are the most comfortable in the best and simply add the lumbar pads as needed.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:47 AM
jwasbury
Instructor

I installed Recaro sportster CS Seats in my 930. I have driven 500+ mile days sitting in them and they are very comfortable for me. They also hold you in tight for DE events. Bottom line: the seats are awesome and I have zero regrets with my choice. They look great too. Ignore the color in the pic below (white balance was off on my camera)

Old 05-28-2012, 10:57 AM
ayd
Rennlist Member

Steve,
You re not the oldest, I'm 64 too. I didn't realize you could add lumbar pads to the Sporster CS. How big a job is it? Are the pads pre sized?
Allan
Old 05-28-2012, 11:46 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm older (70 in less than 2 months) and missing several discs in my lower spine, degenerated completely, and several in my upper. I have the Recaro Pole Position seats in my SC and the PORSCHE similar "Sport Bucket " seats in my Cayman. My wife and i have driven several consecutive 600 plus days with no issues. As for lumbar support I just pull the back cushion out ( it is held in by velcro) and slip a small lumbar pad in. Works great. The great thigh support also stabilizes my back .
Old 05-28-2012, 06:32 PM
ayd
Rennlist Member

Does the back cushion on the Sportser CS just pull away from the seat?
Old 05-28-2012, 10:58 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I'm older (70 in less than 2 months) and missing several discs in my lower spine, degenerated completely, and several in my upper. I have the Recaro Pole Position seats in my SC and the PORSCHE similar "Sport Bucket " seats in my Cayman. My wife and i have driven several consecutive 600 plus days with no issues. As for lumbar support I just pull the back cushion out ( it is held in by velcro) and slip a small lumbar pad in. Works great. The great thigh support also stabilizes my back .
Happy (imminent) birthday!!!!!

Your comments are as good as testimonial for these seats as they come. These things are easily customized for a person's body fitment and requirements by adjusting the side mount angle and adding Recaro pads as needed. I even added memory foam to my Profi XL for a comfy fit in my daily driver.

Allan......yessir, the lower part of the backrest allows access from the sides to insert either a Recaro pad or one of your design.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Reifle
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently put in a set of Recaros - from a Jetta Trophy! Beest thing I ever did for myself. I am 6' 7" tall and a bit of weight to go with the height... These seats have made the car so comfortable to drive now. The support they give is great!
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

ayd; where are you in the country? I have two beautiful, used, black leather Recaros w/pump up lumbar, would need Steve's input on what model they are, but if you're near Central CA...? The seats are "used" because my wife loves the period factory Sport Seats (which are in the car now), and she drives the car more than I do!
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2012, 02:04 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I will add, that since my wife is short (5'2" ) I have had a another seat cushion made ( identical to the OEM) and she can place it in the seat sitting her higher and making it easier for her to get in and out over the side bolsters. It just sits on top of the normal cushion and thus comes right out. I also had the slit put in so the thru the seat harness belt will work as I have four point as the only belts in the Sc and as an option in the Cayman
Old 05-29-2012, 09:08 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

I too have a bad back, and have switched most of my cars to Recaro RSD/Speed seats(SC, Cab, & 924S), and have been very happy with them, but I use something else when I drive my truck or the Jag, is one of these seat inserts, they are adjustable, can be ordered in different widths (I also have one for my concourse Turbo, since I kept that stock) and for driving around town & trips, these things are great, but don't be fooled by cheap copies
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2012, 09:41 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
ayd; where are you in the country? I have two beautiful, used, black leather Recaros w/pump up lumbar, would need Steve's input on what model they are, but if you're near Central CA...? The seats are "used" because my wife loves the period factory Sport Seats (which are in the car now), and she drives the car more than I do!
Hey Pete!!

I think those are Recaro Sport seats.

Pretty darned neat with some nice features.

http://www.recaro-automotive.com/us/...uct/sport.html
Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 PM
apperception
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default So, at fifty I'm the young kid?

I've been afraid to ask but me too. Got the cervical fusion and lots of other spinal degeneration. The old Volvo V8 wagon had Recaros and it was like physical therapy. I've just replaced it with an Audi S8 that has factory Recaros, but they are not quite as supportive. I suppose I am looking for one or two older Recaro seats that come with mounting hardware and some confidence that the project will go well. My interior is black and I would love to hear from the brain and spine trust on this one. BTW, I am really loving the S8.

Larry
88 Carrera Targa
02 Audi S8
03 A4 Avant (wifey)
64 Fordson SupaDexta tractor (with 28" rear rims!)

Prior Audi
01 A6 2.7 MT6
91 V8Q
86 4KQ
90 100
82 Coupe X2

plus seven Alfas
Old 05-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I had surgical fusion L4-5, L5-S1 10 years ago. I've fractured T6, and have a blown disc T6-7. Last week, I found out I have spontaneous fusion (Dr. Mother Nature) at C5-6, C6-7. Those are my credentials.

The Recaro Profi SPG XL I had in Ruby was more comfortable than the stock seats in my 993. They were awesome, even without reclinability. I did have a Recaro manually pumped lumbar support in it.

Quick Reply: RECARO SEATS FOR OLDER DRIVER