Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:01 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Ignition Wires

Hey all,

(x-post from PP)

I want to replace the ignition wires in my '86 coupe (stock) as part of my "new owner maintenance".

Browsing the different available products it seems there is a substantial premium for the genuine Porsche wires (more than double the cost for the set).

What wires did you put on your car? Does anyone have good/bad experiences with particular brands?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 PM
mclmk8d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magnecor KV85
Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Why do you want to replace yours?
Old 05-23-2012, 05:37 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Why do you want to replace yours?
I'm not sure when they were last replaced, there's no mention in the stack of service receipts I have. It's more a piece of mind thing along with me as a new owner of the vehicle wanting to establish a consistent maintenance schedule. I want to start off fresh so that I know what was done and when.

Not so importantly, performing these maintenance items is a way for me to learn and become more familiar with my car.... Not to mention I enjoy it!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:51 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's all well and good, but normally a visual is performed, to check for cracks in the insulation at the cap ends, and at the plug ends. Then, the car can be run/idling in a dark place to check for stray sparks. If you have no cracking or sparking, there is usually no need to replace the wires.

I know! If you want to do something good for the car, have you checked the dates on your brake fluid flex hoses? They should be replaced every ten years, or 100K miles, whichever comes first. If they need replacement, it will give you a good excuse to buy a brake pressure bleeder, a couple quarts of good quality fluid, and flush the brake system!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:14 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just check 'em first, as suggested (but I will admit that I took the same approach when I got my '89.....new wires: immediately!!!!!!!!).... Look for the faintest cracks in the rubber,..look at tip ends with bright light and magnification,....take resistance measurements,....water soak 'em at night and look for that blue dance,......one can clean/burnish the connector contact areas..........when done, pack them away and install all new!!!!!! (hehehe).

ANYTHING rubber should be checked: ESPECIALLY ANY BRAKE-RELATED AND FUEL RELATED ITEMS...

I stayed with the BERUs.....

BEST!

Doyle
Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced mine with Berus maybe ten years ago. I liked the fact that I could easily use the factory mounting tabs and such.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here,..I've about 6 years of age on these....I liked your stated fact, as well.

Best,

Doyle
Old 05-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I ran the Magnecor 7mm-all 12+2 of them.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:52 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
That's all well and good, but normally a visual is performed, to check for cracks in the insulation at the cap ends, and at the plug ends. Then, the car can be run/idling in a dark place to check for stray sparks. If you have no cracking or sparking, there is usually no need to replace the wires.

I know! If you want to do something good for the car, have you checked the dates on your brake fluid flex hoses? They should be replaced every ten years, or 100K miles, whichever comes first. If they need replacement, it will give you a good excuse to buy a brake pressure bleeder, a couple quarts of good quality fluid, and flush the brake system!
Excellent advice Peter. The sheaths are cracked but upon visual inspection the wires look "ok". I will take some pics, and try the spray-water test.

I will check the brake lines. The previous owner had the brake system flushed last summer (ATE Blue) as part of his tech inspection for DE, but there is no mention of the lines being replaced.

Originally Posted by dshepp806
Just check 'em first, as suggested (but I will admit that I took the same approach when I got my '89.....new wires: immediately!!!!!!!!).... Look for the faintest cracks in the rubber,..look at tip ends with bright light and magnification,....take resistance measurements,....water soak 'em at night and look for that blue dance,......one can clean/burnish the connector contact areas..........when done, pack them away and install all new!!!!!! (hehehe).

ANYTHING rubber should be checked: ESPECIALLY ANY BRAKE-RELATED AND FUEL RELATED ITEMS...

I stayed with the BERUs.....

BEST!

Doyle
I think it's "new owner syndrome"... there is an urge to buy car parts!

Originally Posted by rusnak
I replaced mine with Berus maybe ten years ago. I liked the fact that I could easily use the factory mounting tabs and such.
Thanks Rusnak, good information about the factory tabs.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I ran the Magnecor 7mm-all 12+2 of them.
If they're good enough for Ruby they're good enough for me!

Looks like I have some inspecting to do!

Quick Reply: Ignition Wires