Introduction and a question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:03 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Introduction and a question

Hi there.

I've been a long time lurker and hopeful 911 owner.

I've been involved in cars since I was a boy. Now days, when I have time (work keeps me very busy) I love to wrench on and drive just about anything I can get my hands on.
Current projects are an '89 GTI 16v turbo and '67 bug.

I've had countless cars that I've fallen in and out of love with and recently this particular car has caught my attention and I was hoping some of you can guide me along as I make my first Porsche purchase. I'm thinking that I'd like to settle down and have a long term relationship with this one and not just fix it up, get bored and move on. Know what I mean?

I'm looking at this car.

Has anyone worked with Columbia Valley Luxury Cars? And what advice can I get about this 84 Carrera? I haven't got the VIN from the dealer yet or information about the compression/leakdown tests that they say had 'great' numbers.

Thanks,

Jerry B
Old 05-19-2012, 09:34 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks nice. But could be an 87-89. Check the wheeks to see If they are genuine Fuchs.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:41 PM
klokwerk
Racer

I should have mentioned that as much as I'm liking this car, I'll walk away from it in a second if the PPI doesn't pan out.
That said, the car definetly is not stock. It's had some work done. Most of it is okay with me but I'm concerned about the engine/transmission work. Thus the PPI.

I hope there's a shop not far from where the car is with Porsche techs that I can talk to.
I'd hate to ask to take it into town to have it inspected. I don't think the seller would go for that! But it would be a hell of a test drive.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Jerry,

Those are inherently excellent cars but you have get a good example of one. A thorough PPI by qualified, experienced and honest personnel is mandatory to ensure you have no surprises.

I don't know where you live so I am unable to offer any recommendations for that.

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 05-20-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:54 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Hi Steve,

I live in Spokane WA.
I haven't been able to get in touch with the local PCA to see if they have experience with this seller and if they could recommend a shop/tech for a PPI.
I guess that would be a good place to start.

If you know of anyone in the area, or better yet, someone who's close to where the car is that would be best, I think.

The car is in Richland, WA about 2 hours from where I'm at.

And rusnak, how do you tell if the wheels are genuine or knock-offs?

Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:55 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say that appears to be just a really nice 84 Carrera, I would do a follow up leak down to double check whats been going on and a PPI just to make sure

But its my experience that a guy who pulls a motor, and details it that nicely, usually gives a shizz about what he's selling

Although that guy is smoking crack if he thinks he's gonna get 24K for a E30 M3, that thing might be nice but its still got 160K on the clock lol
Old 05-20-2012, 03:25 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by klokwerk
Hi Steve,

I live in Spokane WA.
I haven't been able to get in touch with the local PCA to see if they have experience with this seller and if they could recommend a shop/tech for a PPI.
I guess that would be a good place to start.

If you know of anyone in the area, or better yet, someone who's close to where the car is that would be best, I think.

The car is in Richland, WA about 2 hours from where I'm at.

And rusnak, how do you tell if the wheels are genuine or knock-offs?

Thanks again.
Hi Jerry,

The dealer in Spokane has some folks who know the air-cooled models, but thats a long way from the Tri-Cities. I'm unaware of anyone in that area who knows these cars well enough to know what to look at for a clean bill of health (or not). Leakdown testing is mandatory, but that doesn't give the whole picture about the engine.

I would talk to the local PCA folks as thats a good place to start.

Porsche factory wheels have the cast-in trademark which is a small triangle with a "P" in the center. Its found on the backside so you must remove them to confirm.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:53 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Thanks again.

I'm trying to reach the local PCA now. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.
From their website it looks like they've had a few events at this dealership. So, hopefully they have some good news for me.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:04 AM
911dean
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't buy this one, keep looking, and find one to buy. It will be the start of a long love affair. I've owned more cars than I can remember. Buying a 911 was the best car purchase I've ever made. It's the most satisfying car I've owned to both drive and work on. I think I need 2 now. One to work on and one to drive. Good luck!
Dean
Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

something looks funky with that tail .. do you have a different pic ? It may be just the angle .
Old 05-22-2012, 04:12 PM
klokwerk
Racer

Theiceman, there are a bunch of pictures of the car at this link: http://www.cvluxurycars.com/1984Pors...ackonBlack.htm.

There are a few things that don't appear stock on the car, but I don't have a real problem with it. It might hit its "collectable" value but I don't buy cars to collect. So if the car has stuff done to it that I'd end up doing myself then that's a plus in my mind.

What I'm concerned about now is how long its been on market. The earliest posting for this goes back to Jan this year. That's 5 months its been for sale. Does that mean that a lot of people have looked at the car and have passed? Is the price too high? Is there something the 'local PCA' guys know about the car but aren't willing to share becuase if you knew it you'd pass too? Dunno. I'm calling some of those guys today to see if they have anything to share.

On the surface, the car looks good. I don't have the leak down numbers so if I have time this coming weekend, I'll be making the drive out to the sellers location with tools to perform the test myself.

I'm looking at a couple 1989 964's C4s in Portland being sold by Luxe Autohaus. So maybe Steve could comment on these cars: http://www.luxeauto.com/inventory_detail.cfm?Invid=1562

and here

http://www.luxeauto.com/inventory_detail.cfm?Invid=1537

Since I'm asking for help in buying a 911 it would help to say what my budget is. I'm looking to not spend more than $25k. I'd like a car that's already sorted out and doesn't have a lot of defered maintenance. Not looking for a project car and definitly not looking to rebuild an engine anytime soon.

I don't mind getting my hands dirty and can do just about any mechanical job on the car myself. Meaning anything from oil changes to complete engine builds.
I'm no Paul Weir, Steve Weiner or uber engine god. But I do know my way around engines and rebuilds.
I just want a car that I can be proud to own and can drive it and enjoy it for a while before it needs anything major.

Sorry for the long post and thanks!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Not much to add here......but I think the dealers name is Nathan Merz. If it's the same guy, he contacted me a few years back attempting buy a car I was selling. He initially presented himself as a private party, using a cell phone with a local [to me] area code. He eventually came clean about being a dealer. He was a nice enough guy, but the initial misrepresentation soured me on working with him.

My recollection was that his preference was to have the car PPI'd at Chris' German, and I think all of his cars get worked on at that shop. Maybe you could call the shop for some addtional info. If you decide to persue the car, and IF Nathan insists that the PPI is done at Chris', beware that Nathan is a also a customer of the shop.

Good luck.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:40 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I have to say again: "are you sure it's an '84"?

I wasn't aware that H5 and a thrid brake light were options back then. Maybe a really really really late '84.

And I'd have a look at those pushrod tubes.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:53 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "replica Carrera tail", surely missed the boat, eh?

It was mentioned on his link that the h%'s were an "upgrade"...

PPI!

BEST!

Doyle
Old 05-22-2012, 07:23 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

oh hahaha!!!

I'm sorry it never registered in my brain that way. Who goes from H-4s to H-5s? It's like moving from a country with ponies to a non-pony country.

Quick Reply: Introduction and a question