Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Newbie Trans/Clutch Question-

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 06:18 PM
Ken Christian
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie Trans/Clutch Question-

Hey, all! Just purchased my first Porsche-- an 1984 911 Carrera.

I have a couple of quick questions on the tranny/clutch. I know that there is a lot of info out there, so if someone can point me in the right direction, I can go from there.

Basically, I'd like to know if this is considered "Normal" for the year of my 911, "Possibly Problematic", or a "Definite Problem":

-- Clutch: somewhat stiff, and engages in the last 1/4 of travel.

-- Tranny:
1st gear: need to downshift while still moving (most of the time). Once in a while won't go into gear at all unless I pull the clutch out a bit.

2nd gear: very stiff on upshift. Almost like there is a barrier that you have to get through.

3rd gear: no problems

4th: no problems (somewhat difficult to find when down shifting from 5th, but getting used to it. I'm probably just new to the action. )

5th and Reverse: no problems.

So what is the verdict? I don't mind having a shop rebuild it if this isn't normal. It is definitely a great car and I want it to be as close to perfect as possible-- it just doesn't seem like it is shifting quite right....

Thanks,

Ken
1984 Carrera (Restoration in progress )
Old 04-27-2002, 08:18 PM
r22tek
Advanced

Ken, it sounds normal, especially since it's your 1st 911. My 85 "seems" to grab high, feels like the top 1/4 like yours. If you check carefully on level ground, you will probably find it is engaging sooner. The 915 tranny in your car takes practice to master. You must shift deliberately, with a slight pause between gears: rev to 4 grand or higher, clutch/shift to nuetral, pause, drop her into next gear. It's kind of annoying at times, but adds to the experience of a driver's car. Clutch is cable driven, no hydrolics, so it might feel stiff compared to newer cars. Don't worry about it until you've been driving it for 3 or more months, then you will be able to tell if it needs attention. Right now, it is probably just in-experience.
Old 04-28-2002, 08:10 AM
Dana Drury
Intermediate

Somewhat stiff and "clunky" can be used to describe the 915 transmission. I think about 90% of Porsche owners sighed in relief when Porsche brought the G50 transmission out. Personally, I find the 915 fine.

First gear is designed to engage when moving slowly, the recommended usage is to shift down from third to second and then if your coming down to a halt, shift to neutral, then just as your about to stop (10 km/h or whatever) put it into first.

Second seems okay, Third is is similar as well, fourth can be hard to find when shifting from 5th because it springs slight to far to the left so pause in neutral for a second.

Its funny, most people complain about the 915 transmission, in someways, its the only blight on the Porsche map, great cars, great engineering and then a crappy transmission, but really it just takes practise and like r22tek said, proper shifting technique.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:24 PM
KLehmann
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it feels stiff, you may need a clutch cable replacement. Could be a guide tube/release bearing needing replacement too. Also could be pedal bushings.

A friend's 86 had a firm feel to it when he first got it. Nothing bad about it, just firm. After he did a clutch replacement (new disc, p-plate, release bearing, and cable) the clutch is now as smooth as butter.

The high pedal would most likely indicate that you need to adjust your clutch cable. The cable needs to be adjusted occasionally to compensate for clutch disc wear. The 915's are not self-adjusting like the later hydraulic operated models. My friend complains how my car (87) engages high on the pedal travel compared to his, so I have to assume the cable cars' pedal typically engages somewhat lower than a G50 model.
Old 04-29-2002, 02:47 PM
Bryan Moore
Advanced

I agree with Kevin. Start with a "by the book" clutch adjustment (actually not difficult at all) and then re-evaluate the problem. If you're still uncertain as to whether it's working properly, get someone else who has a car with the 915 transmission (but not a mechanic who has a vested interest in fixing it) to drive your car, compare it to their own, and give you a second opinion.
Old 04-29-2002, 04:27 PM
Zipper
2nd Gear

Question

I have the same 2nd gear "barrier" with my '86 Carerra. Sometimes I feel it, sometimes I don't. I must shift properly some of the time.

I wouldn't consider my clutch to be stiff but this is my first Porsche and I was expecting worse. It's quite a bit stiffer than my '99 VW, but that's my only reference point.

Dana said:

[quote]First gear is designed to engage when moving slowly, the recommended usage is to shift down from third to second and then if your coming down to a halt, shift to neutral, then just as your about to stop (10 km/h or whatever) put it into first.<hr></blockquote>

Is 10 km/h right? The reason I'm asking, is that my car's 1st gear syncros are gone. If I try to downshift to 1st when moving, it grinds. I'm debating a trany rebuild to address this, but I'll be less inclined to do that if I still can't shift into 1st until nearly stopped.

Just looking for advice.

Thanks,
Zipper

(BTW, first post on this board - what an awesome resource! Thanks to all of you.)
Old 04-29-2002, 06:55 PM
Ken Christian
2nd Gear

Thumbs up

Hey, thanks for all the input guys.

I think that the consensus is that this probably not extremely unusual for my 911. (Newbie 911 syndrome.) BUT I also like the idea of checking up on the easier external possibilities such as clutch cable adjustment, etc.

I've got my manuals handy, so I'll see if dealing with the items outside the transmission case help at all. Great way to get familiar with the drive train on this baby anyway.

Thanks again!

KC
1984 911 Carrera
Old 05-01-2002, 08:27 AM
Dana Drury
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by Zipper:
[QB]

Is 10 km/h right? The reason I'm asking, is that my car's 1st gear syncros are gone. If I try to downshift to 1st when moving, it grinds. I'm debating a trany rebuild to address this, but I'll be less inclined to do that if I still can't shift into 1st until nearly stopped.
[QB]<hr></blockquote>

Is 10k right? Well on my car, anything over that and the gear grinds slightly if I force it in, so between 0-10km/h I shift in. I have read that Porsche designed the tranny so that you shift down to first when almost stopped. Your milage may vary I guess.

The reason I have found, at least in my car, it can be hard to shift into first when halted, and other people have echoed that sentiment.

I hope I make sense, it may just be my car, but I other cars I have driven (non porsche) don't exhibit the same behaviour. The 915 is a bit notchy and really requires smooth deliberate shifting if you don't want to miss gears.
Old 05-01-2002, 02:00 PM
Zipper
2nd Gear

After my post, I had a chat with the service manager at a local garage and he confirmed the 915 is difficult to downshift into first when moving (even slowly), so your car is normal.

I'm glad - now I won't spend money fixing my transmission.

Thanks,
Jay

Quick Reply: Newbie Trans/Clutch Question-