Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Weltmeister Air Box

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 05:55 PM
Bob S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Weltmeister Air Box

Does anyone have any experience with the Weltmeister Air Box? Ads are claiming a 10HP gain. Sounds like alot for a small investment.
Old 03-13-2003, 07:40 PM
bones
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bounce
Old 03-14-2003, 10:12 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I'll bite, but get ready for the rant.

I'd really like to see these manufacturers provide actual dyno results with their horsepower claims. It almost ought ot be a requirement. I mean, this is factual information, not something subjective. It's gone on for years, "Up to 10 hp!", etc. Then this "data" enters the vernacular of enthisiasts, and everyone starts to believe it. If you're selling a performance part for top dollar to Porsche owners, the cost of a dyno run would hardly break you, and if your claims are true it would provide credibility.

It's obvious that their scheme is to claim "up to", thereby sidestepping the facts, everyone seems to do it and everyone else seems to accept it. I suppose if you had an otherwise-modified engine that was capable of making a lot of horsepower, and you had one item holding it back (like a restrictive intake or exhaust system) then maybe you'd get "up to" the kind of horsepower gains they claim. But on an otherwise stock engine, I really doubt that you're going to get 10 HP from an airbox cover.

That being said, there's an element of coolness to some of these parts and that's worth something to some people. And some parts like the small cone K&N filters look racey and really improve accessability to the rest of the engine compartment for spark plug changes and valve adjustments, so there's some value there. No harm done as long as they don't actually reduce horsepower.

Case in point: I just spent $550 for a Dansk stainless sport muffler for my '88 Carrera. The claim was for "up to" 12 HP. The reality is NO WAY! My pants seat says 3-5 HP tops, barely noticeable. However the tailpipe looks wonderful, the part is exceptionally well-made, the sound is improved, and having it on the car identifies me as a performance enthusiast, so I'm already happy.
When I add the Fabspeed euro pre-muffler I may gain more horsepower than I would have with the stock muffler, so I expect to be even happier then.

So to answer your question, I think you might get a small horsepower increase from the part in question (but I doubt 10 HP), and maybe a little more if it's used in combination with other performance parts.

Quick Reply: Weltmeister Air Box