Rear signal question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear signal question

Dear All,
I did search the problem on the forum but did not really see an identical problem so excuse me for starting another thread..

On my 87 3.2, the rear right brake light bulb went out and I replaced it. Shortly after, the right rear turn signal light stopped working... The front blinks rapidly and the rear is out. With the hazard on, all three of the lights blinks normally and the right rear is still out even with a new bulb.

Any suggestions. No problems prior to the rear brake light bulb going out.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is some weird thing with the wiring to the RR. I think Pete Zimmermann wrote about it once.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:59 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the only thing you did was replace the bulb, I'll bet that when you removed & replaced the bulb, the copper spring contact may have gotten misaligned and is not contacting the bulb correctly. I suggest you remove the bulb(s) and check to see if it is in it's proper place and making good contact. It's happened to me a couple of times in 44 years and recently on my 88 Carrera with the right front turn signal bulb. also, make sure the copper spring has adequate tension on it. I use a pair of small 90 degree needle nose pliers to work on those areas.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:30 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean the heck out of those grounds, too.

Doyle
Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions.
I pinched the contact and everything in the socket is very clean. Where do I find the ground?
Still no luck

Didn't do much except change the bulb next to it. Can't understand if it's not the signal bulb why the problem all of a sudden
Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

did you put the correct current bulb in ?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:24 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

I replaced using a P21W bulb as suggested by Cdn Tire. Is there a difference between a P21W and a P21W (7506) bulb?
Old 05-13-2012, 03:06 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i would think they would be the same .. silver base right ? as oppose to the brass looking base.

sounds like you just have a ground issue .. have you put a meter on it and measured any voltage when it is on ?

cant you just put the stalk to that side with the ignition off and it should just light up as a marker light ? I seem to remember this . If that does work it should make it easier to troubleshoot with a meter.

oh also keep im mind the wring loom for that runs under the oil filter and plugs in . Make sure the connecttion didnt work loose. Could be possible it was disturbed during an oil change at some point.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:16 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions. End up cleaning the wire loom in the engine compartment as it was a little greasy. And the retaped with electrical tape switched the left side bulb to test. Then as sudden as it went out. It back on. Must be loose contact with the bulb and during all the tries yesterday it didn't make contact. Even the old bulb works. Now I have some spare bulbs

Thanks all. Now I have a real understanding of how sensitive these cars are
Old 05-14-2012, 08:49 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

well you beter reinvestigate and fix the route cause .. either that or avioid every pothole for the next 10 years or so
Old 05-14-2012, 01:29 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Point taken.

It's like the front headlight on the 996. If it goes out after a bump, I give it a shove. Lucky only happened twice.

With the rear signal I'll have to try and pull the contact springs out some more the next time it fails and I have the lense off. I was so happy it worked I didn't touch it and just remounted the lense.

Thanks again for the help

Quick Reply: Rear signal question