Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Targa Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 PM
raycap
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 Targa Transmission

Ready to change xmsn oil in my 1989 911 Targa. I've read that the filter screen needs cleaning. Where can I get info re: location of screen and replace,ment?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm going to assume that you have a 1989, 3.2 liter Carrera with a 5-speed manual G 50 transmission. If I'm correct I can safely say that there are no transmission filters or screens, but you should use a top quality SYNTHETIC gear oil, such as Kendall 75w/90, in the trans.

That said (I haven't got the foggiest idea what "xmsn" oil is), if you're talking about engine oil, if the car was mine, I would determine the correct viscosity, then choose the oil. Here in Bakersfield, CA, I use 20w/50 dino oil, and have recently switched from Kendall to Valvoline VR-1. I don't like Kendall's "Titanium" additive, and have not been successful learning exactly what it is, so I made the switch to the next best dino oil. There are no "filter screens" in your engine oil system (not since about 1983.5 production), but there is a screw-on oil filter, and two drain plugs (one on the crankcase and one on the oil reservoir under the right rear quarter panel).
Old 05-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm going to assume that you have a 1989, 3.2 liter Carrera with a 5-speed manual G 50 transmission. If I'm correct I can safely say that there are no transmission filters or screens, but you should use a top quality SYNTHETIC gear oil, such as Kendall 75w/90, in the trans.

That said (I haven't got the foggiest idea what "xmsn" oil is), if you're talking about engine oil, if the car was mine, I would determine the correct viscosity, then choose the oil. Here in Bakersfield, CA, I use 20w/50 dino oil, and have recently switched from Kendall to Valvoline VR-1. I don't like Kendall's "Titanium" additive, and have not been successful learning exactly what it is, so I made the switch to the next best dino oil. There are no "filter screens" in your engine oil system (not since about 1983.5 production), but there is a screw-on oil filter, and two drain plugs (one on the crankcase and one on the oil reservoir under the right rear quarter panel).
Old 05-07-2012, 11:29 PM
S2TGART
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

He is using xmsn as a short for transmission. When I worked on airplanes in the Air Force, we routinely used "x" to shorten things. Fuel flow transmitter would be FF XMTR.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:23 AM
raycap
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S2TGART is giving my age away - long ago Army days!
Anyway, I've never changed the transmission fluid berfore, but have changed oil numerous times. The oil compression washers (1 aluminum, 1 copper) are apparently used on the transmission hex plugs (side + bottom). I'm probably being over-cautious, but will copper v. aluminum make a difference?
Thanks.

Quick Reply: 911 Targa Transmission