Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oversteer exiting corner

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 12:10 PM
magistro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Oversteer exiting corner

I recently purchased an 86 Carrera w/42k miles. The car has not been driven for 8 years. The car runs strong however there is substancial oversteer exiting the corner. Turn-in is ok, middle of corner is ok, just the exit has the problem. Any suggestions of what to look at or correct. Thanks
Old 06-21-2001, 01:57 PM
jadams
3rd Gear

What! A 911 that oversteers?!? (Sorry, I couldn't resist )

You say it has been sitting for 8 years - you might want to try new tires before hunting down suspension problems. Just a thought.
Old 06-21-2001, 03:25 PM
sander
8th Gear

Also, at what point are you back on the throttle, and how much are you applying? And what are you doing with the steering wheel as you exit? These may be factors as well.

So are you a long-time 911 driver and you're saying your car oversteers MORE than a normal 911 ought to? Or are you a relatively new owner that is concerned about this oversteering tendency that you haven't seen before in a passenger car?

With a little more info, I think we can definitely help you out =)
Old 06-22-2001, 02:22 AM
JR
Track Day

A 911 that oversteers exiting a corner? Thats
why there's such a large used parts business
for 911 parts. When in trouble back off doesn't work on a 911. Gas it and hang on!
Old 06-22-2001, 02:39 AM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hell...I wish I could get my 911 to oversteer more!
With her big, sticky Yokohama boots, she's just glued to the pavement. Even an idiot (like me) can't break her loose!

[ 06-22-2001: Message edited by: Dial 911 ]
Old 06-22-2001, 09:49 AM
Peter Kelly
Advanced

911's are imo easy to drive (at least my 89 is) because (on the limit) you can steer it with either end. 1/2 to full throttle will cause it to push. Slight lift before the apex can be used to rotate the car.

If your car is oversteering between apex to exit AND you are hard on throttle, (full throttle ideally) then your car has major problems. (remember, UNDERsteer is when you see the crash, OVERsteer is when you just feel and hear it)
Old 06-22-2001, 11:44 AM
magistro
Advanced

Originally posted by magistro:
<STRONG>I recently purchased an 86 Carrera w/42k miles. The car has not been driven for 8 years. The car runs strong however there is substancial oversteer exiting the corner. Turn-in is ok, middle of corner is ok, just the exit has the problem. Any suggestions of what to look at or correct. Thanks</STRONG>
Old 06-22-2001, 11:52 AM
magistro
Advanced

I'm aware of 911 oversteer. I should qualify that the oversteer occours far from the expected limits of adheasion, and for a constant radius curve the car seems to oversteer the longer I am in the corner. I think the old Goodyear Eagles may be the cause???
Old 06-22-2001, 12:05 PM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't say just how "old" is old, but take a close look at the your tires sidewalls. You can find a production date stamped in very small letters. Maybe you'll find they are way past their "Best Before" date.

Also, while your there, inspect the sidewalls for small cracks. If you see them, *hit-can the tires ASAP.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:30 PM
Thom Fitzpatrick
Racer

Unhappy

I *wish* I could get mine to oversteer! I have more rubber than I do power, unfortunately...
Old 06-22-2001, 01:22 PM
Peter Kelly
Advanced

Originally posted by magistro:
<STRONG>I'm aware of 911 oversteer. I should qualify that the oversteer occours far from the expected limits of adheasion, and for a constant radius curve the car seems to oversteer the longer I am in the corner. I think the old Goodyear Eagles may be the cause???</STRONG>
I think it is safe to assume your tires are junk
Old 06-22-2001, 01:42 PM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

Man, I spent a bunch of money and time trying to figure out how to make my car consistently oversteer a bit in all conditions thereby killing any trace of understeer. I guess you should feel fortunate. I find that 911s when driven right don't oversteer as much as they are famed for. Any oversteer on the exit can be easily fixed with a slight flick of the wheel. I do that with mine all the time. On the entry, apex and exit my car always has a slight slip angle due to the greater power to weight ratio as a result of it being stripped to 2300lbs. When you strip a car, like I did mine, you find that most of the weight comes off the front. What you end up with is an even greater front-rear weight differential which makes for an outrageously fun and addictive car to drive. A handfull for the uninitiated, but a serious weapon in the hands of a good driver.
Old 06-22-2001, 05:55 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
I had the same problem in a 90 C2 due to fuel leaking from the filler neck, traveling down the underside of the car, and spilling in front of the left rear tire. Problem only showed up in hard right turns. The dealer initially refused to try to diagnose the problem, claiming that I first had to buy new tires, as the old ones were worn. Ultimately, i figured it out by watching the left rear through an adjusted rear view mirror and seeing the wet spot on corner exit. It was worse with a full tank, but could be induced on a near empty tank in a hard enough corner.

Quick Reply: Oversteer exiting corner