Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

leak only when driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 07:27 PM
mtrlmngr
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leak only when driving

I have a 1977 911S with a 1982 SC motor. I started spewing oil on a major scale but only while the car is moving. I am guessing something with the trans. The fluid seems to be coming from the location where the engine and the transmission meet. I cannot see the leak from just looking. But there is a lot that does out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
No Los in oil pressure, all gears work, car smokes like hell because the leak is hitting hot pipes.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:54 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts

That is most likely coming from your rear main seal ... not a good thing because it will saturate your clutch disc and you will have to replace it !

If you're lucky it's only one of the three "triangle of death" culprits that is finding it's way down,those would be crankcase breather hose,crankcase breather cover gasket or oil sender switch.

If it is your rear seal,your engine will have to come out and you will most likely need a new clutch as well.
Of course,that is the worse case scenario !

Cheers !
Phil
Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,162 Likes on 833 Posts

Sounds like the oil sender switch might have puked. Real pain in the *** if that is what it is. Can't even see it past the cis. Engine drop may be required. I'll post a picture later as I am on my tab right now
Old 07-14-2013, 11:18 AM
mtrlmngr
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two years later, it was the main seal. Had to replace the clutch and most of the oil lines.
Thanks for the insight madeit easier for me to find the issue without getting taken to the cleaners by a mechanic

Quick Reply: leak only when driving