Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Whine/rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:26 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finding vacuum leaks is a chasing game. It can be difficult, so use process of elimnation, and soldier on.

The tests that would make sense would be, as mentioned, to check your fuel pressures, and CO%, or even better Fuel to Air Ratio with a wideband O2 sensor. These can be rented or purchased, and do make sense as an investment for a Porsche owner. Also, most of these checks can be done with a multimeter or test light.

The symptoms seem to point to a lean condition, but you have to follow up with a logical test plan to narrow it down. You should see the vane in the ICV (air flow valve) set in the middle position while connected. When disconnected, it should turn freely.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1986 Targa
Shannon,

As per the above posts, what you may have is a leak at the boot interfaces.

Mine developed a leak due to an improperly tightened clamp on the throttle body.

Removing the 90 degree boot is not a big deal, then check it for cracks,
and loose hoses on the back of the boot.

pm me as needed.

Good luck,

Gerry
Gerry....I think I will put that task on the front burner tomorrow. It does appear to be a pretty straight forward procedure.

Rusnak: You should see the vane in the ICV (air flow valve) set in the middle position while connected. When disconnected, it should turn freely.

Can you elaborate on the above....

I took the ICV off and it was a bit dirty (read not bad at all), so cleaned with carb fluid, blowed it dry and put it back on. Then decided to try and adjust the idle again (bridge wired B & C) and was able to get idle back in 'normal' range. I'm not that tuned into what exactly these cars should sound like when running (I've heard Ed Hughs, but its hard to hear the his (Ruby) engine over the exhaust), but think its OFF somewhere. I will check the 90 degree boot tomorrow.

Thanks all.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:10 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

OK, while it's out (warm engine), plug the connector back in, and the ICV hums and the two servos turn the vane to the middle position. Disconnect, and it should turn freely. Jumpering the two connectors sets and freezes the vanes in the middle position, rather than let it adjust idle. When you adjust the air screw on the throttle body, this is setting the "baseline" idle setting at the middle postion on the ICV. Most likey, your icv is at the limit of travel, and your DME is not able to achieve the idle specified.

Your stock idle setting is not programmable, and it needs to be within spec.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rusnak
OK, while it's out (warm engine), plug the connector back in, and the ICV hums and the two servos turn the vane to the middle position. Disconnect, and it should turn freely. Jumpering the two connectors sets and freezes the vanes in the middle position, rather than let it adjust idle. When you adjust the air screw on the throttle body, this is setting the "baseline" idle setting at the middle postion on the ICV. Most likey, your icv is at the limit of travel, and your DME is not able to achieve the idle specified.

Your stock idle setting is not programmable, and it needs to be within spec.
Hum....I think i understand. But let me say what I think your telling me.

1. Gain access to the ICV valve when car is warm...ie take both upper and lower rubber hoses off, but leave connected to electrical.
2. Click key to on position (don't start) and the ICV vane should be in the middle position.
3. Turn key off/disconnect electrical and vane should turn freely.

I assume this is suggesting the ICV is fuctioning properly ?!

"When you adjust the air screw on the throttle body, this is setting the "baseline" idle setting at the middle postion on the ICV. Most likey, your icv is at the limit of travel, and your DME is not able to achieve the idle specified."

And how would this be corrected or managed ?
Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

This is not my car, but the whine I have alluded to is almost exactly as the one in this 11 second VID....mine may be bit louder of a whine, but only seems noticable at idle. Overall, I would say my car sounds very very close to this one albeit a lower idle.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I don't hear a whine. There might be some bushing noise in the alternator. You can take the belt off and run it a very short while without the alternator to see if that's what it is.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:00 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rusnak
I don't hear a whine. There might be some bushing noise in the alternator. You can take the belt off and run it a very short while without the alternator to see if that's what it is.
OK...added to the list. Thanks
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I could hear no whine.....
Old 04-13-2012, 11:56 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

I will hear no whine ... before it's time ...
Old 04-13-2012, 12:13 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

OK.....like i said earlier, maybe its just that I am not that adept at porsche engine sounds. To me, there is a distinct underlying sound......perhaps Rusnak was right on with him suggesting its the bushing/bearing sound from the alternator. I am going to take my alt belt off today to get that noise/sound out of the equation so i can hear what just the engine sound is.

Guys...keep in mind here, I am a VIRGIN with not just these cars, but any car. Just now giving myself the opportunity to have some fun and learn. I mean my vehicle vocabulary is growing leaps and bounds just by doing this task.....thanks again.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:56 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Check the alternator and distributor shafts for radial play while you're at it.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

1. Removed alt fan belt.....no radial play and no noise when spinning loose fan. Started motor......all sounded the same.
2. Re-sprayed intake with carb fluid.....no engine idle change.
3. Re-sprayed all vacuum type hoses that I could see.....no engine idle change.
4. Took 90 degree boot off (one that connects to AFM)....no signs of cracking or problems.
5. As mentioned, the other day I was able to use idle bypass and got idle near 800+

Maybe I'm chasing my tail......but, cold start still hunts a bit. Idle is still a bit low and seems a bit choppy.

I'm wondering now if i got some bad gas ? Any change was after the previous fill-up at Shell. I did get the tank down to 1/3 tank and put a bottle of techron in it and filed up at Chevon 93 octane. Guess I need to see how that pans out now. Maybe I'm chasing my tail ? Or faulty WUR ?...I'll see if I can find some Rennlist or Pelican searches for that next.

My wife bought a new Ipad and was showing off the vid capabilities.....I'll try and post of vid sometime when she gets back home.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

No WUR on a Carrera.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Take your ICV off and spray the inside good with carb cleaner.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
No WUR on a Carrera.
LOL....i shoulda checked before I opened my mouth. Nothing gets through the cracks around here.

Quick Reply: Whine/rough idle