Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

my 84 Carrera takes it's 1st flatbed ride....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012 | 11:57 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Default my 84 Carrera takes it's 1st flatbed ride....

at least with me.

Only had it a couple of months, so today I took the targa top off, and GF and I take it out into the country to where I grew up. Turning around in the old dirt driveway, I ran over an old stump. A thud, and then the clutch pedal won't come all the way back up and the clutch will not engage.

Anybody have any idea what I broke?

Thank goodness I bought roadside assitance with my insurance. 1.5 hours later the driver dropped us and the car off in my driveway. He was very careful, so I gave him a $20 tip.

I haven't even had it up on jackstands yet, so I guess tomorrow I'll be buying some.
Old 04-01-2012 | 12:01 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Normally, I'd say that something between the clutch pedal and the throwout fork broke (clutch cable, clevis, cable end, etc). But since you say you hit a stump...
Old 04-01-2012 | 12:13 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

It was a VERY slow speed collision, maybe 3 or 4 mph, and the stump was maybe 4 inches high. The stump was part of a fireant nest, so I didn't get too close.

The tranny shifter still feels like the gears are ingaging normally, but no clutch engagement.

Pelican is starting to be my biggest Visa charge.
Old 04-01-2012 | 12:18 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

You probably did the right thing for your synchros and gears.

I did the wrong thing once. The clevis broke, and I was stranded in a Walmart parking lot about 50 miles from home. No f***n way am I paying for a tow that far. So I shifted into 1rst, started the car with the key, and drove home like that, speed shifting up as high as 4th. I had to shut off the ignition at each red light. It was white knuckle a few times, but I made it ok. I welded the clevis back together and had it fixed in an hour. I now carry a spare in the front trunk.
Old 04-01-2012 | 10:10 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Checked the pedal assembly, clevis and cable: all OK. Got the car up on jackstands and the tranny end of the cable shows no damage; however, something either in the clutch release mechanism or the clutch itself is buggered, as there is not enough tension on the cable. Didn't have time to get any further today and probably won't until next weekend.

If it is the clutch, is it possible to drop the tranny and get to the clutch without dropping the engine? Somebody please say yes.
Old 04-01-2012 | 10:48 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I think you're ok. Undo the cable. And with a large screwdriver, pry the release arm rearward. Reattach cable and adjust.
Old 04-01-2012 | 11:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

is the helper spring still there ?
i would think your issue is in the external linkage
Old 04-02-2012 | 07:44 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Thanks, guys, I sure hope so. Helper spring is still there. I'll try the prying on the release arm as soon as I get a couple of free hours. Damn this having to go to work!
Old 04-02-2012 | 08:49 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Work????
Old 04-02-2012 | 09:18 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

i would put her on jack stands .. have someone get in it while you watch the cable do its thing at the clutch ...

I guess it is possible that the stump caught the release arem and busted something inside like the release lever .. that would SUCK because it means the engine is coming out .. Russ may now this but i thought there was an upgrade for this part due to breakage ..

Last edited by theiceman; 04-02-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-02-2012 | 03:26 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

The G-50 had an improved throwout fork. I've not seen an improved 915 throwout fork, but it's very standard practice to change forks each time the motor and tranny are split. That little rollpin is a easy piece to loose, so tape it somewhere securely until you need it. New rollpin and throwout fork, also new pilot bearing and main seal. Possibly new throwout bearing too depending on mileage -- if you do end up splitting the motor and tranny. If the tranny has got to come out, then you're looking at dropping the motor too.

What I think happened is that the tree stump jammed the arm with the omega spring forward. It's designed to only move a small amount, and then return. If you move the arm too far forward, then the cam action of the omega spring will not let the arm return.
Old 04-02-2012 | 04:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

be carefull with that omega spring if you like your eyesight and teeth ..

hopefully it still looks like this ...

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-02-2012 | 05:17 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rusnak
What I think happened is that the tree stump jammed the arm with the omega spring forward. It's designed to only move a small amount, and then return. If you move the arm too far forward, then the cam action of the omega spring will not let the arm return.
I was thinking the same thing. To release tension on the omega spring, you can "flip" it all the way around past the normal compression and return action. If that is all it is, you just have to flip it back into its normal position. You'll need good pics to see what the position of the spring is supposed to be like.

Iceman's pic might be enough.

Brett
Old 04-02-2012 | 05:30 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

I was supposed to have tomorrow off; that just got canceled. So it may be this weekend before I can look at the bottom of the tranny. I appreciate the help.

I don't have the time or facilities to drop the engine and transmission right now, so if it does come to that, I will have to have it towed to a repair shop. Unless I want to wait 6-9 months until I get a concrete pad poured and my garage built.

Anybody know a competent mechanic near Augusta, GA, who could handle this? We don't even have a Porsche dealer here anymore.

I tossed and turned all last night; hardly slept at all. This was the 1st time I had driven the car more than 2 or 3 miles, and it was running so sweet. The Sparco steering wheel and the Wevo shifter and coupler I put in 2 weeks ago made all the difference in how it drove. Frick.

Last edited by SiberianDVM; 04-02-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2012 | 08:50 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Got home after 8pm so it was pretty dark under there, but I did find something: the Omega spring ran away! At least most of it did. There is one end left, with 3 leaves broken at a diagonal. Funny thing is, they are rusty and I can see no other visible damage. Metal fatigue?

I have to admit, this clutch mechanism is like no other I have ever seen, and at this point, I can't even figure out how it works.

I guess I need someone to push the clutch pedal for me so I can see what moves where, then start taking the clutch release mecahnism apart.

Sorry about the bad pics, it was dark and I was tired. I'll get some more after I clean off some of the gunk.

Last edited by SiberianDVM; 11-09-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Quick Reply: my 84 Carrera takes it's 1st flatbed ride....