Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bought my first 911! Story and PICS

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 03:57 PM
pputkowski
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Bought my first 911! Story and PICS

I have always loved the older 911's and have planned on purchasing one for quite a while now. Up until recently I was always turned away from actually owning one because I simply thought they were unattainable at any decent budget. The costs of an engine/transmission rebuild always loomed over my head and I talked myself out of trying to own one until I could afford a nice one and the maintenance that would come with it.

I just recently graduated college and moved to the Charlotte area, taking a job in business under a fellow Porsche (mostly 930) enthusiast. Once I moved up here I realized his resources when it came to Porsches and his wealth of knowledge and decided it was time to finally own one.

I had a fairly mild budget so I was restricted to searching for early SCs and the 2.7-series. After months of looking, I found a few cars that were decent drivers and would be OK to own, several of which I was ready to pull the trigger on. Thankfully my boss was able to throttle me back and told me to wait it out for the right car. Fast forward to this weekend.

We had been planning on attending the Concours at Amelia for months now and I was very excited to attend my first one. While on the interstate on the way down to Florida I decided to jump on craigslist and see if anything was available in the Jacksonville area. I saw a very simple ad for a 1984 Carrera that stated it was a clean car with decent paint and it drove well. That was about it, no pictures and no further details/phone number. I emailed the owner and consequently set up an appointment to view the car on Friday afternoon, even though she told me the car was "brown". I was upset that I was going to be missing the Drendel cars go across the block at Gooding but if the car was in decent shape it would be well-worth her asking price.

Long story short the owner of the car scheduled two buyers (myself and another party) to look at the car at the same time. I guess she figured we would just work it out between ourselves. Unfortunately for me, he showed up 5 minutes before I did... Unfortunately for him, I showed up with cash and he didn't. Needless to say I was ecstatic to find such a great car within my budget.

So here it is, my new 1984 light bronze sunroof-delete Carrera. It had 99k miles when I bought it Friday and today I turned over 100. I believe the car is mostly original paint and the exterior has been maintained meticulously. I have about 15 years of records from Brumos. The headliner has a few tears, the dash has a few cracks, and the steering wheel is starting to fall apart but all-in-all it's a great car.

Name:  BVCre.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  135.5 KB

Name:  q1JZp.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  106.9 KB

Name:  BBKay.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  99.8 KB

Name:  WhFaf.jpg
Size:  95.7 KB

Name:  V8GOn.jpg
Size:  136.2 KB

Name:  7KElU.jpg
Size:  102.5 KB

Name:  6BEnn.jpg
Size:  109.8 KB

So far I've had Terry at The 911 Shop in Charlotte (cannot recommend him enough to all the air-cooled guys!) give it a mechanical once over including valve adjustment, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, oil/air filters, etc. Last weekend I spent all day Sunday hand rubbing the paint and waxing the car. The paint is in tremendous shape overall sans a few rock chips on the front bumper.

After the detail:

Name:  wytD9.jpg
Size:  98.9 KB

Attachment 1367387

Name:  WtOfG.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  104.0 KB

Name:  HrtuU.jpg
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  ezZKl.jpg
Size:  90.0 KB

Name:  Bi4ow.jpg
Size:  114.3 KB

Name:  XPBFI.jpg
Size:  90.7 KB

Future plans for the car include installing my rebuilt shifter coupler with bushings from Ed to get rid of the clunky 1-2 along with giving the engine bay a full detail. I am on the fence in regards to replacing the steering wheel with a Momo Monte Carlo or perhaps a Porotipo, still not sure.

I just joined the Carolinas PCA and I look forward to meeting some of you guys at future events!

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 03-29-2012, 04:40 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is one pretty 911. Welcome to Rennlist!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:21 PM
six gun
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful color, welcome to the "slippery slope."
Old 03-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Congrats. Good luck with it!!

Brett
Old 03-29-2012, 05:45 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful 911! You will be delighted.

You're starting on a lifelong, wonderful journey.

You also need to get a little bit of sun.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:35 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

She's a beauty! Love that color!!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:34 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks fantastic! What a great colour.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:40 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Very nice, welcome!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 AM
springman
Instructor

Beautiful car. I love it!!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:35 AM
Dave Fulton
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Conrgrats on being a member of the Porsche owners club

Wow congrats your your new car.

I bought my 83 SC 19 yrs ago thinking it would be a transitional car and would get another newer one in a few years. It has run so well and everyone that drives or see's it loves it for the most part. I bought mine with about 65,000 miles and it now has over 180K on the original engine with no major repairs except for a few alternators, one starter tune ups and valve adjustments about every 10K and regular oil changes. It has always been a reliable car and only let me down twice. Once the original clutch with the rubber hub in the center went out and I started it in gear and drove it to the shop and had it replaced. Another time the alternator went out and I was on the turnpike and the battery went dead. Alt. light came on got to the next rest stop and had it towed to the shop and replaced.

Yours looks the same color as mine. I looked at at least a dozen before I picked this one. I guess the deciding factor was the owner of this one had it in his locked garage, with a car cover on it and the alarm set on the car. The final deal maker was my wife saw the color everyone wants a red, black or white one and she said she as about to have an orgasm looking at the color LOL deal made sold. After I made the deal got home to get the cast for the next day the owner called and said he changed his mind was going to keep it and give it to his 16 yr old daughter for her first car. I said to myself noway and it took about two hours to convince him I would worship his car and take car of it as he did. finally he agreed and I could not get there soon enough the next day and pick it up.

I will attempt to down load some pic's of mine so you can see the potential of what yours could look like. Everything on mine except the exhaust and steering wheel is original Porsche. Mine looked almost exactly like yours the only difference is yours has the newer 3.2 liter and mine is the last of the 3.0. You can chip yours. Mine runs very strong with over 180,000 miles on the original engine. If you have any questions email me and will me more than will to trade any info to a new Porsche owner you will become addicted like the rest of us are I am sure.

Last edited by Dave Fulton; 04-01-2012 at 06:51 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-30-2012, 10:10 AM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Love the cobalt behind your new ride as well!
Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Congrats! Gorgeous car.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I absolutely love the color! Congrats its a beauty!!!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:43 PM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

congrats! Its a very nice car.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:52 PM
Avar928
Rennlist Member

What year is that black Mustang in the back? I love old Mustangs but not as much as I love Porsches.

Beautiful 911! Congratulations!

Quick Reply: Bought my first 911! Story and PICS