Adding keyless entry to factory central locking

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 01:10 AM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Adding keyless entry to factory central locking

I purchased a keyless entry system with remotes and brain. I was hoping to just tie in to the switch on the center console. It works with a neg. pulse but the system is not energized with the ignition off. Any suggestions on how to tie in to the system? My keyless entry can provide pos/neg pulses. Thanks, Mike
Old 03-11-2003, 10:45 PM
Richard Pankhurst
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was thinking about the same thing for my '89 911. It seems on my car that the system is energized when the ignition is off. I can lock the doors with the console switch with the ignition off.

Regards,

Richard
Old 03-11-2003, 11:56 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can also Richard, but just after turning off the car. My windows will stay energized until I open the door. It seems like sometimes my locking system will stay energized after I turn off the ignition, allowing me to unlock the doors with the central lock button. Other times I have to manually unlock the doors. If yours stays energized all the time its a slam dunk to wire your locks. It just takes a negative pulse to one of the wires(yellow on my '89 930) coming off the center console switch to lock/unlock both doors. I picked up my keyless entry for $45. Mike
Old 03-15-2003, 04:02 PM
PDACPA
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Mike how big is the unit and where did you get it for $45? I would love to have this for my 89 but thought it was much more involved. Does the whole unit hide in the center console?

Post a picture if you can.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:17 PM
SoCal Mike
Addict
Rennlist Member

PDA, I bought the unit from of all places, JC Whitney. I never really pay attention to the catalog when it comes in the mail, but the unit was advertised on the back cover. It looks to be a nice unit and the remote is of decent quality And it's made in the US! The control unit is 3.5x4x1 inches. You might be able to fit it in the center console somewhere. By the way, I checked out your carrera, how do you like the 930s wheel? Did you get the spacer as well? Car looks smooth. Mike

Quick Reply: Adding keyless entry to factory central locking