Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Auction - Laugh, Cry or Cheer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:19 PM
GPTurbo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auction - Laugh, Cry or Cheer?

I just attended the AuctionsAmerica event in Fort Lauderdale. They had a good selection of sports, muscle and classic cars, and the prices were, for the most part, about what you would have expected.

There was one sale however that left me in shock. A 1972 911T Targa was represented as an all original 40K mile 20 year "barn find." Well it certainly fit the barn find part. If you go on the auction site I'll just say the pictures don't begin to convey how awful this car is. The red paint is severely faded and there isn't one straight, unrusted panel on the car. The interior is basically trash with torn seats and a beat-up dash, and the Fuchs are in need of total refurbishment. While the car made it up the ramp under its own power, the engine sounded and spelled pretty bad. It is a #4 to #4-minus on a good day. Before the bidding started I guessed that it could hit maybe $8,000 based on the increasing interest in older 911s, even basket cases.

The bidding started briskly, with 4 or 5 parties going head to head. The bids kept coming, and when the hammer went down the final price (including commission) was $46,200!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A good VIN# alone can go for $30,000. Why on earth would a complete car be any less?

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/event...order&feature=

Having looked at it I can totally understand why it went at that price. It will most likely be back in Europe in no time fully restored and living large. Worth every penny.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:08 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And I couldn't even get any interest at sub-$10K for my 100% always rust free never been hit '73 1/2 T sunroof coupe shell with real RS flares...............

Glad Ed's car came along so that I could make something out of it!

(I did have a chance to buy a fairly complete '72 T coupe last year that would have been a fair enough mechanical candidate for the above shell for about $8K.)
Old 03-18-2012, 10:15 PM
mclmk8d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GPTurbo
I just attended the AuctionsAmerica event in Fort Lauderdale. They had a good selection of sports, muscle and classic cars, and the prices were, for the most part, about what you would have expected.

There was one sale however that left me in shock. A 1972 911T Targa was represented as an all original 40K mile 20 year "barn find." Well it certainly fit the barn find part. If you go on the auction site I'll just say the pictures don't begin to convey how awful this car is. The red paint is severely faded and there isn't one straight, unrusted panel on the car. The interior is basically trash with torn seats and a beat-up dash, and the Fuchs are in need of total refurbishment. While the car made it up the ramp under its own power, the engine sounded and spelled pretty bad. It is a #4 to #4-minus on a good day. Before the bidding started I guessed that it could hit maybe $8,000 based on the increasing interest in older 911s, even basket cases.

The bidding started briskly, with 4 or 5 parties going head to head. The bids kept coming, and when the hammer went down the final price (including commission) was $46,200!!!
Amazing isn't it?

BTW, it was a pleasure talking to you at Sebring
Serge

Quick Reply: Auction - Laugh, Cry or Cheer?