Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1971 911E paint code, S options

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012 | 11:04 PM
webco
AutoX

Default 1971 911E paint code, S options

I'm a new member need a bit of help. After selling my '77 Carrera 3.0 Coupe last year, I was lucky enough to find a 1971 911E Coupe in a barn (not kidding) and managed to purchase it. It had been sitting up on blocks for years and although it has some surface rust, it has no rot and is complete except for the original radio. Where can I find the paint code? The car has never been painted as far as I can tell and appears to be a maroon/burgundy color. Also, what is the "S" option package? Someone asked me if it had this and I don't know how to tell. It does have 15" Fuchs, a sunroof, rear wiper, and trim around the wheel arches. Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 03-12-2012 | 12:53 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

On the drivers a pillar there will be a tag with paint code on it, you need a COA to get factory interior color, but burgendy/tan is probably correct. The E's came with comfort package the used 14" fuch and hydropneumatic struts. The E's could be purchased with "normal suspension to replace the aweful factory setup most of were switched many years ago.
Phil
Old 03-13-2012 | 02:09 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Yep, looks like a true barn find to me.

Cool car. As long as there is not a big rust issue, this should be a rewarding project. The paint tag, near the driver's side door stay, should have the paint code 2424 for Burgundy. You will notice the car also has Hella 139/169 fog lights along with H1 headlights. Your car is very nicely optioned.

The S appearance group is found here.
http://www.911t.org/options/

The list is:

-velour carpets
-gold name plate and lettering
-leather wrapped steering wheel
-wide AL trim on the rockers
-S interments
-rubber inserts on the bumpers
-Al threshold plates
-wider Al trim on the bumpers

Please post up more photos when you can. You will no doubt have loads of fun finding out what you have and bringing the car back to life. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-13-2012 | 02:45 PM
webco
AutoX

Thanks Brian. Yes, the car as all the items you mentioned in the "S" appearance group list. I did find the paint code which I should have figured out... My Carrera 3.0 had a tag in the same place but was illegible. Always wondered what it was for! So, this car is #2424 burgundy with a tan interior. No rust in the usual places, but have found some thin metal on the sunroof panel and a couple of other spots but nothing that should present any serious problems. As soon as I finish a few other projects, I can't wait to dig into this one. I am most anxious to tear down the motor. I don't dare try to start it without a tear down first. I have turned it by hand only enough to verify that it wasn't stuck. BTW, love the RS pic... Looks Guards Red which reminds me of my 3.0
Attached is a shot of the "E" after getting a clean-up...
Regards,
Bill
Attached Images  
Old 03-13-2012 | 10:35 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Hi Bill,

Boy, that car looks really nice cleaned up for being in storage so long. Did it come with the original books and manual? Any history on the car? Lastly any interior photos? I would be temped to rebuild the E engine with S pistons to spice it up a bit.

Actually the RS is Tangerine (Blut Orange).
Old 03-14-2012 | 07:02 AM
webco
AutoX

Brian - I've got the original service record booklet issued to the original owner who picked picked up the car in Germany, original owners manual, radio instruction brochure, etc. In addition to the original owner, I know who the previous 2 owners are, but haven't connected all the dots yet. The interior is in pretty good shape except for the carpet which was damaged by mildew. No rips or tears on the seats or panels, but a few cracks on the dash top. Are you sure those "S" pistons like today's pump gas? I thought they were about 10:1
Bill
Old 03-14-2012 | 11:34 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Rear wiper? I don't remember seeing that on an early car. Also, does it have "sport" seats? Very nice find regardless.
Rebuilding to S specs is a fine idea, but the the larger intakes (heads/valves)and oil squirters is a great addition to that motor. Also, factor in a good oil cooler.
Lovely car.
Old 03-14-2012 | 03:51 PM
webco
AutoX

The rear wiper was an option according to http://www.911t.org/options/ which also lists option for E's and S's. It's supposedly a rare option I've been told with only about 5% or so being equipped. Not sure how to find out for sure what's rare and what isn't on these cars... The seats don't appear to be sport seats (no side bolsters) - I'll have to search for some photos online to compare... Can anybody tell me if the wheels are the "deep 6" versions from the photo? They are 15"
Thanks,
Bill
Old 03-15-2012 | 01:03 AM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Hi Bill,

Yep a rear wiper is rare, especially since most of them have been removed from cars that had them originally. Yes, those are deep six Fuchs. It will be interesting to see the date codes on them.

The higher compression shouldn't be a big deal. My 2.2S runs great on the fuel we have which is mostly 92 and 93 octane. Maybe you could just change the cams to a mod E grind to move the sweet spot of the RPM range up a bit from the stock E engine. You have several choices when you rebuild so doing some research will be helpful when you get to that point. Please post up more photos when you have them, thanks for sharing.
Old 12-24-2015 | 05:22 PM
webco
AutoX

Brian - I finally got the motor and transaxle done after finishing two other restoration projects. Tackling the sheet metal now which had more issues than originally thought.
I went stock on the tune. Bored the birals, new oversize JE's, had the cams reground, etc. Here are some pix including a before shot of the motor...
Attached Images     
Old 12-28-2015 | 04:28 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Hi Bill,

Huge improvement in the appearance and condition of the engine. I am wondering though if someone painted the Mg case silver. Hopefully that was not done and it only looks bright silver because of the flash.

Long project but will be worth the effort when done.
Old 02-23-2016 | 12:34 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Aubergine. A great color in its day.
Attached Images  
Old 02-23-2016 | 02:28 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Brian 96C2
I am wondering though if someone painted the Mg case silver. Hopefully that was not done and it only looks bright silver because of the flash.
I noted the same thing and like you, I hope that wasn't done as thats a BIG hit on value.
Old 02-23-2016 | 02:48 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

I have never understood why anyone would paint a mag engine or gearbox. Properly cleaned and treated magnesium is a site to see!

Quick Reply: 1971 911E paint code, S options