Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tirerack. Kumhos. Pep Boys?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Caferacer
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tirerack. Kumhos. Pep Boys?

So I ordered four Kumhos for my '88 from Tirerack and the closest recommended installer is a Pep Boys half a mile from my house. Is this a bad idea? What, if anything should I tell them before they put it on the lift? What should I be concerned about? Oil lines? Tub? Or is this a non-issue? Thank you for suggestions.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

They may be fine, but I'd not go by Tire Rack's suggestion, and do my own research to determine a conscienscious tire mounter. I also take my wheels off the car and then to the shop.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 AM
gomarlins3
Instructor

Go with the Tire Rack recommendation. They were chosen for a reason.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:48 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

Same here ... the only time my car may go near a lift is when it goes on an alignment platform ...

I have a shop nearby with one of those fancy (expensive)tire machines that doesn't damage your rims in any way and it's only the owner's son who touches my Fikses ... lol

Take your wheels off and bring them,don't let anybody lift your car if they don't have Porsche experience !

Cheers !
Phil
Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep!
Old 03-05-2012, 10:00 AM
BlackSpyder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
They may be fine, but I'd not go by Tire Rack's suggestion, and do my own research to determine a conscienscious tire mounter. I also take my wheels off the car and then to the shop.
+1...this is what I do.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:03 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I selected my tire installer very carefully, and was lucky to find a PCA Racer who owns a tire shop in SLC. Despite this, I still force my way back into the bay to make certain that the lift is properly aligned. These guys know me by name, and have provided great service to me my entire family...

And if you are into track events, finding a quality independent alignment guy should be top of the list as well...

Tire Rack is awesome, and has the best pricing. I buy all my tires from them.

My $0.02,
-B
Old 03-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Caferacer
Pro

Originally Posted by blake
I selected my tire installer very carefully, and was lucky to find a PCA Racer who owns a tire shop in SLC. Despite this, I still force my way back into the bay to make certain that the lift is properly aligned. These guys know me by name, and have provided great service to me my entire family...

And if you are into track events, finding a quality independent alignment guy should be top of the list as well...

Tire Rack is awesome, and has the best pricing. I buy all my tires from them.

My $0.02,
-B
Thank you Blake. Since removing my wheels is not an option I think I will go ahead bring the car to Pep Boys but will try to take some precautions. Can you describe how the lift should be "properly aligned"? What should they be trying to avoid?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

You want to make sure they lift at the jack points on the car and use risers on the lift arms so they don't crush the side skirts and oil lines.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gomarlins3
Go with the Tire Rack recommendation. They were chosen for a reason.
Baloney, TR didn't spend a lot of time on that decision. In fact, I'd bet the have Pepboys as a national account.

I'd go so far to say I'd not just go to any Discount Tire outlets, but I know of one in the DFW area and one in San Diego, that have earned reputations as very astute when dealing with non-steel wheels. Having said that, I'd not expect either of these stores to know how to jack up a 911 without hurting something.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Caferacer, you may want to check with someone in the PCA in your area, or look at advertisers in their local publication.

Too many stories over the years about botched wheels due to someone not knowing how to work the equipment or take proper care.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:21 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSpyder
+1...this is what I do.
+2 Tire installers don't know jack about cars, and are the worst mechanics.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 PM
Caferacer
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Caferacer, you may want to check with someone in the PCA in your area, or look at advertisers in their local publication.

Too many stories over the years about botched wheels due to someone not knowing how to work the equipment or take proper care.
Why didn't I think of that? I will check my Porsche Post from Metro NY PCA tonight. Thank you.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:26 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Caferacer
Thank you Blake. Since removing my wheels is not an option I think I will go ahead bring the car to Pep Boys but will try to take some precautions. Can you describe how the lift should be "properly aligned"? What should they be trying to avoid?
I just show the tech where the jack points are located, and get on my hands and knees to verify that the arms are aligned properly before the car is raised... I learned a long time ago to wear old clothes anytime I am taking a car to a mechanic - I will get dirty!

-B
Old 03-05-2012, 06:15 PM
SPDADCT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wherever you take it, just make sure you wait by the car and watch the tire tech. They tend to do better work when the owner is around watching. I also tip the tech which always helps.

Quick Reply: Tirerack. Kumhos. Pep Boys?