Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

NU-LIFE leather spray dye_ANYONE_USED_IT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2002, 09:02 PM
911cab
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post NU-LIFE leather spray dye_ANYONE_USED_IT?

Changing color from grey to black and want to spray on the final finish. Has anyone used this stuff and if so how did it go?
Would you use it again?
thx
Old 08-27-2002, 12:42 AM
ChrisB
Intermediate

Yes, I've used it and it looks great! However, I must add that it's best for leather that's not touched very much - like dash pads or door panels. Arm rests and seats look great for a while but the "paint" will wear off soon, leaving the obvious original color showing. It helps to clean the leather with solvent - like a mild clearcoat reducer - to provide a very clean surface for the paint to stick to. Good luck! Let me know what you think. (I recommend removing the armrest from the door panel and then spraying the hidden area of the door panel to see if you like the results. If you don't like it, fine, it won't show if you reinstall the door panel.)
Old 09-02-2002, 12:11 AM
911cab
Intermediate

thanks chris.
I used fine 400 sandpaper and lac thinner to remove as much of the old finish as possible. Then several coats of neatsfoot oil to soften leather, worked in by hand and applied till it would not take any more. Next applied USMC Black leather dye. Suprised at how many coats it took to get complete coverage of grey. Light scuff sand with fine steel wool to take off gloss. Then more neatsfoot oil. I was going to use the nu-life if the finish was not smooth and uniform but it got better with each coat of dye and oil. I may or may not use the nu-life, looks like I may not need it.

Quick Reply: NU-LIFE leather spray dye_ANYONE_USED_IT?