Wheel "groaning" noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Wheel "groaning" noise

I noticed today on a spirited drive (with speeds up to 60 mph!) a low groaning sound coming from the left rear tire area (driver's side) when I turned the wheel to the left. Totally went away when I turned right. My repair of the day will be???
Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Groaning is usually a wheel bearing, which turns into a whirring sound like a supercharger.

Clicking is usually the CV joint.

You might check that the hub nut is tight, and try pressing sideways against the rear bumper while lookin at the whee rim. If there is movement relative to the body, then the bearing is shot.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 PM
tbanasiak
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wheel bearing right side, if noise went away when you turned to the right it would be the left wheel bearing. could just need tightning too. I plan on replacing all 4 on mine this coming summer mostly for peace of mind, just hit 111k. More one-on-one time for me and my girl.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

The smart money would be on a wheel bearing.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:52 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The smart money would be on a wheel bearing.
Is that an expensive fix? Only drove about 20 miles on them with the spacers.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:24 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to get started on the diagnosis. The wheel rim/ movement is a sure sign. Listen to the wheel with the gearbox in neutral, or the clutch in.

If the wheel bearing does need replacement, then this is probably one the most dreaded jobs other than working on the doorstay and/or hinges. Happily, there is a puller that makes it a 5 minute job, once the brakes and stuff are out of the way. Removing the stub axle from the outer bearing race can be a major hassle unless you have a split bearing puller and a hydraulic press or a second puller.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2 cents.

Tim...you drove from Miami to Maine.......NO PROBLEMS.

Now, you've driven what....200 miles since being home. I'd take the spacers out and see if that resloves both your shimmy above 60 and groaning.

You said you 'personally' mounted your wheels once the new tires were on them and balanced.....I think you would have noticed 'wobble or hub play' at that time.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:04 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim, generally when spacers are used, the geometry of the wheel/axle are thrown out of whack. It is common for the wheel bearings to go out due to this change. Didn't you say you put 1 1/2 inch spacers on the rear? No reason to do that since I believe if Dr Porsche wanted it that way he would have designed it that way. Just my opinion. I predict you'll always have bearing problems with that much of a spacer on the car. A friend just went through that scenario. An 89 Carrera Cab with approximately 90000 miles on it. Put on narrow 993 wheels and 1" spacers on the front and 1 1/2 ones on the rear. The second set of rear bearings are already starting to get noisy.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:32 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Tomorrow= Spacers GONE!!!!!!!!! I'll just be happy driving my GT-3 Cup car around town!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ron mcatee
Tim, generally when spacers are used, the geometry of the wheel/axle are thrown out of whack. It is common for the wheel bearings to go out due to this change. Didn't you say you put 1 1/2 inch spacers on the rear? No reason to do that since I believe if Dr Porsche wanted it that way he would have designed it that way. Just my opinion. I predict you'll always have bearing problems with that much of a spacer on the car. A friend just went through that scenario. An 89 Carrera Cab with approximately 90000 miles on it. Put on narrow 993 wheels and 1" spacers on the front and 1 1/2 ones on the rear. The second set of rear bearings are already starting to get noisy.
Spot-on; these are something I would never install on a customer's car. The limit is 6mm for me.

Wide spacers really stress wheel bearings and shorten their life.

One simply installs the proper offset wheels for the application to prevent such issues.

Naturally, JMHO.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:39 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Spot-on; these are something I would never install on a customer's car. The limit is 6mm for me.

Wide spacers really stress wheel bearings and shorten their life.

One simply installs the proper offset wheels for the application to prevent such issues.

Naturally, JMHO.
Thanks Steve. Wish I would have asked before I bought spacers. Guess that is what the "For Sale" section is for.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shannon123
My 2 cents.

Tim...you drove from Miami to Maine.......NO PROBLEMS.

Now, you've driven what....200 miles since being home. I'd take the spacers out and see if that resloves both your shimmy above 60 and groaning.

You said you 'personally' mounted your wheels once the new tires were on them and balanced.....I think you would have noticed 'wobble or hub play' at that time.
I agree, take the spacers off. Porsche made it that way for a reason. Let us know.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:35 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
I noticed today on a spirited drive (with speeds up to 60 mph!) a low groaning sound coming from the left rear tire area (driver's side) when I turned the wheel to the left. Totally went away when I turned right. My repair of the day will be???
First of all, if you consider a "spirited" drive up to 60, you must be pushing around a walker w/ tennis ***** on the legs! lol

Is the "groaning" chronic or intermittent? If the bearing is shot, it would be chronic. I also saw mention of a "shimmy", shimmy does not indicate a worn bearing, that is attribute to either issues w/ balance, tires or rims. Don't dismiss the fact, that it could be a hanging brake caliper!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:55 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you checked to make sure the tires are not rubbing?
Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Have you checked to make sure the tires are not rubbing?
Good point. Have to look closer. BTW Damon, looking for tires for our 09 Chrysler T&C Ltd. and have done much reading on your site. Given that we live in Maine, what tire would you recommend? What is your extension? Thanks

Quick Reply: Wheel "groaning" noise