Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Murphy drove a Porsche, or: a tale of two upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Fonz0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Murphy drove a Porsche, or: a tale of two upgrades

So I had two jobs planned for the P-car this weekend: replace the door stops with the reinforced ones and replace the Shifter bushings. I figured the door stops would be easy peasy and so I started with those. And promptly ran into issues. My Driver side door has a Pin or Rivet holding the stop in that appears to have been driven downward from above. My Passenger side door appears to have one that was driven Upward from below. In either case, I cannot get them out. I have tried every conceivable way to remove them and they ain't coming out. They appear to be sticking on the end of the door stop but sliding freely through the hinge they are mounted in. There may be a simple trick I am missing, but I am afraid to really hammer at them until I know it is safe to do so. I will (with complete shame) have to ask a mechanic how to remove this simple part. Grrrrrrr.

Now on to the other surprise- Shifter bushings. Done. Fini. No issues at all. And what a great feeling to have taken apart the whole mechanism and worked on it. I will post pictures of what I found inside, but every single bushing was in pieces- the cup or socket the ball fits in was in three pieces and rolling around in the compartment. The funnel that the shaft fits through was also in two pieces and loose in the cavity. And the large O-ring was crumbling and coming apart.

It took me 3 hours, but the Rolex 24 was on and I had to check in once and a while, but this job is actually very straight foward. And the difference in shifting feel is night and day. A dealer wanted over $200 for this and I did it in 3 hours with $21 in parts.

Lessons-
1. The front center console is screwed into metal clips that clip through the floor and allow the screws to grip- (like the ones car speakers come with). While you are in there, replace any of these that are missing and the rattle from the console not being secured will go away.

2. The main shaft is not fun to reinsert into the shifter housing, but the reason for the shape of the rubber funnel it fits through can help you here. Rotate it so the opening faces diagonally down and you can just get the shaft inside by prying it up with a screwdriver. Then rotate the funnel right side up- cut out on top.

3. Get some high quality rubber and plastic safe lube and lightly lube the socket and the other o-rings while you are in there.

4. A portable vac is your friend- 24 years of crap in the cavity came out in seconds.

5. If anyone is parting a 1986-1989 Porsche 911 I need the back plastic piece that goes behind the center console- sells for $75 at Pelican:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...81978-89%29%20

Last edited by Fonz0; 01-30-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Because
Old 01-30-2012, 12:49 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like you had a fun weekend!
Old 01-30-2012, 06:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Sounds Like you had fun Fonzo and congrats on a simple and rewarding DIY project. I dont hae said funnel but mine is a 78 so may be different ! ..
My pins came out no prblem . in faci had to put them back in becasue the repalcements were too tight .. you could always carefully dremmel out the pins and knock them out. Then you would have to replace with new pins.

Quick Reply: Murphy drove a Porsche, or: a tale of two upgrades