Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Decklid color HELP ! Grand Prix or Alpine White ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Decklid color HELP ! Grand Prix or Alpine White ?

Hey Guys....trying to source a decklid and I've found this one on fleabay, but the owner cannot tell me if the color is GrandPrix or Alpine White.....which by looking at this color code for 1980 seems to be the only 2 whites for that year.

I'm not familiar with Alpine White....but to me, the above looks like GrandPrix (which is my color of preference)

Thoughts or best guess ?

EDIT: I may have just answered my own question....it does not look like Porsche made 911's in Alpine White....looks like they made the 928's in that color...can anyone confirm ?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:58 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my guess is GP. GP has a lot of yellow in it compared to other whites (like Alpine)and is shared by VW white by the same name.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Shannon, unfortunately there are variations of GP White. I know this following some minor work, many, many years ago, to my GP White '77 930 that I owned at the time. The body shop the car was at was SoCal's very finest. The owner did the painting, and when he mixed the paint he looked at it and thought that it wasn't right. Turned out that GP White could be mixed with black to give a slightly gray appearance. An alternate mix (which my car had) was mixed with red to give the paint a brighter look.

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 01-24-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Alpine white is a much whiter white than GP white. I have both colors side by side in the Garage.
I could take a pic of the doors opened next to each other if that would help.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

If I were buying body parts on eBay, I'd always budget for paint.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

After looking at the ad, I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why you'd expect to bolt this on to your new pride and joy without any paintwork? Typical used parts pirate double speak:

"The exterior paint*is very nice with only slight imperfections. It is not dented or wavy or damaged.* There are a few minor scratches and the paint is a little cracked around where the grill mounts."

In my world, scratches amd cracked paint do not add up to "very nice".
Old 01-24-2012, 11:35 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Had a 79 928 in GP white.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 AM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

<== That is Grand Prix White on my '85.
I'd agree that the evilBay item is GP White.
I know mine is GP White because it says so on the sticker under the hood.
My understanding had been that the Alpine White was less common than the GP White, and was more of a cream color. But based on the other responses, I must be wrong on that.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
If I were buying body parts on eBay, I'd always budget for paint.
Yes, Ed....I am budgeting for paint. No question about that.

While I may keep my currrent lid, I did take it down to see what it would cost to have holes (from spoiler) welded shut and repainted....$800. I thought that was enough to look at other options....ie buy a lid that just needed painted rather than holes filled AND painted. Not alot of options out there....had a guy on Pelican promise me a lid and then he backed out yesterday. Anyhow....thanks for all the responses.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shannon123
Yes, Ed....I am budgeting for paint. No question about that.

While I may keep my currrent lid, I did take it down to see what it would cost to have holes (from spoiler) welded shut and repainted....$800. I thought that was enough to look at other options....ie buy a lid that just needed painted rather than holes filled AND painted. Not alot of options out there....had a guy on Pelican promise me a lid and then he backed out yesterday. Anyhow....thanks for all the responses.
Sorry, it just seemed to me like you were looking to buy a "plug & play" lid by focusing on the paint color. Way back when I put an OEM Carrera Tail on Ruby, I bought a black one and painted it. I just focused on condition and being the real deal-color was insignificant.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Way back when I put an OEM Carrera Tail on Ruby, I bought a black one and painted it. I just focused on condition and being the real deal-color was insignificant.
Agreed and one thing for sure....you will keep me straight if I get off path ! lol
Old 01-25-2012, 07:15 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

I've got my decklid sourced, thanks for the input.

Now...maybe this is dumb question 101, but maybe not.
My assumption would be that I would now need less powerful decklid shocks (now that I am spoilerless) ? I looked around a bit and many of the ads I saw suggested their shocks were for Carerra or Turbo models.....which would indicate that maybe I don't need to change them, but the ones I have on now seem quite sturdy and I don't want to bend my spoilerless hood while trying to close it.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:44 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not really a dumb question at all. Quite insightful considering all the Porsches with 9-irons in the trunk. Standard decklid has a single shock. I'm sure the turbo has two. There are aftermarket rigs that add a second shock to the same mounts used by the single shock...bad deal. These warp the deck under the weight and compression only supported on the drivers side. The proper way to add a second shock is to have the mounts welded to accomodate it on the passengers side. If you have a single shock now, that should be fine with a standard deck sans tail. You do not say if you have dual shocks, or where they are located(together vs. on each side), but typically you will use a single shock on the drivers side with no tail. Multiple shocks very well may damage your new deck. Others here may be able to clarify or correct me.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I've heard of the double shock (driver's side) causing a problem with a deck lid, but personally I've never seen a lid damaged from that set-up (out of many, many cars that I've serviced/repaired that had the double set-up). That said, when you install your spoiler-less lid just use a single support shock on the left side.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by whalebird
Not really a dumb question at all. Quite insightful considering all the Porsches with 9-irons in the trunk. Standard decklid has a single shock. I'm sure the turbo has two. There are aftermarket rigs that add a second shock to the same mounts used by the single shock...bad deal. These warp the deck under the weight and compression only supported on the drivers side. The proper way to add a second shock is to have the mounts welded to accomodate it on the passengers side. If you have a single shock now, that should be fine with a standard deck sans tail. You do not say if you have dual shocks, or where they are located(together vs. on each side), but typically you will use a single shock on the drivers side with no tail. Multiple shocks very well may damage your new deck. Others here may be able to clarify or correct me.
More than many thanks go to you Whale....specially for helping me in the early goings.

I have double shocks....one on each side and they are FIRM. So I will simply disconnect/take off the right side and leave the left side. My brain does say WHOA in that it seems as if with a single FIRM shock your putting uneven stress on the decklid when closing thereby subjecting it to getting out of true....thats my own lingo, hope it makes sense. Nonetheless, I will give it a shot.

Quick Reply: Decklid color HELP ! Grand Prix or Alpine White ?