Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Reiver
My ceiling is a 12 footer.
I disagree with Ed about access. I've used both and the 4 post is much easier to use than a scissors for access for me. Scissors are great for brake work, better than a 4 post, but I've found I do more work actually under the car and can still do the tires off stuff easily.
Never store a car on a 2 post. Cars are made to stand on their feet/tires...not have the mass hanging suspended in the air.
That being said, what is your take on those tire moulded chucks that prevent flat spotting of tires?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:21 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

never used them. I've had cars set for 6 months at a time without any tire issues. It can happen to radials but was really more of an issue with bias ply tires, never had an prolems with radial tires myself.
If a car is in long term storage then place your supports under the A arms/struts so the bearing weight is on the suspension and your tires are off the ground.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:02 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I can't believe this has gone three pages and I haven't posted my cheesy video about my lift.

Watch it in HD with the speakers turned up.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:31 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

^^^^^^^

Jack, you really must have waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands!!! But the coolest lift video....by far. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett San Diego
Any one lift is not going to satisfy all your needs optimally. You really need two. The right lift for you depends on your priorities. Limited space? Need portability? That portable scissor could be just the ticket. The one you show is also open in the middle which is a bonus for access particularly with front engine cars. I have a Bend-Pak portable low-rise parallelogram-style lift. I push it way over to one side and park over it, but then I move it to the middle of the garage for more space all around the car when needed. I do wish I had more height, but it's good for now. I would really like a 4-post AND either a 2-post or mid rise scissor.
Brett
I have the same lift, Brett. It is height challenged, but with a good creeper it's possible to do heavy work under a car. Clearance is great and wheel removal is easy. I recently completed a big 914/4 project, and spent enough time under the car that I found myself about ready to have a two-post lift installed. Standing up, instead of lying on a creeper, is so much easier on the body, and leverage to loosen very tight hardware is much better. And if you have occasional benign positional vertigo, like I do, well...
Old 01-24-2012, 10:02 PM
petercory
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have ceiling height limitations, the 2 post MaxJax has a lot more flexibility than a Scissor Lift, the only contact areas are the 4 jacking points, everything else is wide open. It's pretty tough to do engine/trans drop with a Scissor lift. The only concern with the MaxJax is the floor construction; it should be at least 5" reinforced concrete. I previously had a KwikLift; the only thing that it was good for was oil changes; now, I can do virtually any repairs or under car cleaning chores because of the flexibility of the MaxJax.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...Lifts-s/29.htm

Very popular lift. Check out the pricing.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by petercory
It's pretty tough to do engine/trans drop with a Scissor lift. The only concern with the MaxJax is the floor construction; it should be at least 5" reinforced concrete. I previously had a KwikLift; the only thing that it was good for was oil changes; now, I can do virtually any repairs or under car cleaning chores because of the flexibility of the MaxJax.
That is simply not true. I've dropped the motor out of my '84 twice-once without trans, once with. Both with no issue.

Brakes are a no-brainer, and full suspension access also, having redone front and rear shocks/springs on my 993 last Oct, as well as removing front a-arms for new bushings. I also did a quite a bit of work, including complete exhaust removal, on my 928.

I agree, the Kwiklift is useless, that was obvious to me immediately when I was shopping. I don't know how anyone can view them as a valid tool.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Daniel Dudley
http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...Lifts-s/29.htm

Very popular lift. Check out the pricing.
Thanks. Looks like a nice unit!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Probably going to end up with a scissor lift. Only have about 18 feet of usable width in my garage, but have 11 foot ceilings. The 2 posters would be my preference but would encroach on cabinets on one side and my wifes car on the other. When I have more room (planning a new garage space) then I will arm with 2 and 4 post models.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Check out Backyard Buddy.

http://www.backyardbuddy.com/

And what is really nice--engineered and MADE in America!
Old 01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Check out Backyard Buddy.

http://www.backyardbuddy.com/

And what is really nice--engineered and MADE in America!

Wow, what a lift! Sold me!
Old 01-30-2012, 01:52 AM
hollenbachda
Track Day

Default 4 post lift

I like the 4 poster I have as it allows for multi-car storage, but it does have some drawbacks in that it is not portable and weighs a ton. But it has been great for oil changes and cleaning the undercarriage.
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2012, 12:55 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Nice rides!^^^^^^^^^^
Old 01-31-2012, 11:47 PM
hollenbachda
Track Day

Thanks. Boxster is now gone, looking for the right silver 1997 C4S to take its place

Quick Reply: Scissor lift