Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Center Console Screw in Tunnel

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Repo_Man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center Console Screw in Tunnel

The screw that holds the rear of my center console down popped out, I have tried gently to put it back, it feels like there is hole in sheet metal that is stripped. What is supposed to be down there, is it one of those clip-on speed nuts or something similar?

I didn't want to mess around too much and end up hitting a wire or fuel lines or something else important in the tunnel. My car has the 930 style flat-faced leather console, but as far as I can tell, the rear mounting tab and screw are the same.

Doesn't seem like this would hurt anything to just hang on to the screw and fix it later, as I wasn't planning on pulling the seats, console, and carpet anytime soon.

Also when I was fixing a couple of dash wiring gremlins, I considered taking out the center console, but couldn't find anything online on how the 930 console disassembles, so that might be a bit of a challenge.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 AM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Retired Engineer 1986 Targa-Factory Delivery Original Owner
Default Speed Nut.

Originally Posted by Repo_Man
The screw that holds the rear of my center console down popped out, I have tried gently to put it back, it feels like there is hole in sheet metal that is stripped. What is supposed to be down there, is it one of those clip-on speed nuts or something similar?

I didn't want to mess around too much and end up hitting a wire or fuel lines or something else important in the tunnel. My car has the 930 style flat-faced leather console, but as far as I can tell, the rear mounting tab and screw are the same.

Doesn't seem like this would hurt anything to just hang on to the screw and fix it later, as I wasn't planning on pulling the seats, console, and carpet anytime soon.

Also when I was fixing a couple of dash wiring gremlins, I considered taking out the center console, but couldn't find anything online on how the 930 console disassembles, so that might be a bit of a challenge.
The tunnel has a slot to accomodate a speed nut.

Just replace it.

Good luck,

Gerry
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Repo_Man
Rennlist Member

Thanks,

I found the speed nut, I can lift up just a bit on the leather panel that fills in the area between the two side rails of the console and holds the shift boot.

The nut actually is still in good shape. Looks like the screw must have been pushed into the slot you mention, and there was just enough tension for the sheet metal to catch a thread from one side and temporarily hold the screw in.

I can get the screw back easily if I scrunch the carpet a little bit so the screw doesn't have to pierce the carpet, is this correct, or should i work on getting the screw through the carpet? My carpet is old enough that it's impossible to tell how it was originally installed.

Still fearing the day I need to lift the entire console, the forward bolts are nearly impossible to get to, and the main housing is one piece, not two like in your diagram. I did some searching around the 930 forums, it seems like most of the discussion is on chucking the center console to save weight.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:26 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

saw the thread title and thought it was some sex in public places thing
damn... lol
Old 01-13-2012, 11:36 AM
1986 Targa
Instructor

Location: Manhattan Beach, California. Retired Engineer 1986 Targa-Factory Delivery Original Owner

Originally Posted by Repo_Man
Thanks,

I found the speed nut, I can lift up just a bit on the leather panel that fills in the area between the two side rails of the console and holds the shift boot.

The nut actually is still in good shape. Looks like the screw must have been pushed into the slot you mention, and there was just enough tension for the sheet metal to catch a thread from one side and temporarily hold the screw in.

I can get the screw back easily if I scrunch the carpet a little bit so the screw doesn't have to pierce the carpet, is this correct, or should i work on getting the screw through the carpet? My carpet is old enough that it's impossible to tell how it was originally installed.

Still fearing the day I need to lift the entire console, the forward bolts are nearly impossible to get to, and the main housing is one piece, not two like in your diagram. I did some searching around the 930 forums, it seems like most of the discussion is on chucking the center console to save weight.
Just use a razor blade, and cut a very small hole in the carpet for access to the speed nut, then re-glue.

Removing the console is not that big a deal if done slowly and carefully.

Ask me how I know.

When the time comes, pm me.

Good luck,

Gerry

Quick Reply: Center Console Screw in Tunnel