Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Today's Drive: 23 degrees/sunny...blizzard tomorrow! 1/20 new pics!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:07 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 500_19B
Looks great... you really have it cleaned up nice! Nice setting for the lakeside photo too!

Did the new tires make a difference in how the car rode?
Lakeside??? That's the Atlantic Ocean, Northeast Harbor to be exact. I live about 1/4 mile from there. Lucky me!

Yes, having air in the tires provided a noticeably firmer ride!!!....won't know until I wear the protective coating off.

Originally Posted by TheMystro
What,....You didnt put the top down?? I am in central Pa. and my car has been away for a month now. I had my Targa top off for my last ride of the season. It was 40 degrees but the 911 has a blast furnace heater so I didnt mind. What tires did you go for??
Michelin Pilot Exalto's.......in the correct sizes.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:18 AM
madmax54
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NC weather

Originally Posted by Carrera3.2LG50
"blizzard tomorrow!"

"That's one reason we moved from ME to NC three years ago!"
Forgive me for laughing. My daughter moved to Chapel Hill from our mountain home near the Blue Ridge Parkway, she's the smart one. As I write this, it is 14 degrees with a sustained 35 mph wind. I am on the Eastern Continental Divide, so we get storms from every direction. Last night we had ice, snow and thunder! I put my good vehicles away from Halloween til Easter, because the NCDOT uses calcium chloride to get the skiers up here without chains. So much for the sunny south! Still searching for the right Porsche...
Regards,
Mike
Old 01-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tim, you have one stunngin car! How far are you from Boothbay? I have a home there and we should meet up this spring/summer for a 911 lunch run.

Update: About 2 hours apart, maybe we could meet in the middle. My 911 isn't as gorgeous as yours, but good times will still be had. Anyone else in the Maine area want to join up?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:56 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Tim, you have one stunngin car! How far are you from Boothbay? I have a home there and we should meet up this spring/summer for a 911 lunch run.

Update: About 2 hours apart, maybe we could meet in the middle. My 911 isn't as gorgeous as yours, but good times will still be had. Anyone else in the Maine area want to join up?

Will be there. Book it Dano!
Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by madmax54
Forgive me for laughing. My daughter moved to Chapel Hill from our mountain home near the Blue Ridge Parkway, she's the smart one. As I write this, it is 14 degrees with a sustained 35 mph wind. I am on the Eastern Continental Divide, so we get storms from every direction. Last night we had ice, snow and thunder! I put my good vehicles away from Halloween til Easter, because the NCDOT uses calcium chloride to get the skiers up here without chains. So much for the sunny south! Still searching for the right Porsche...
Regards,
Mike
Where in Maine did you live? We love the Asheville area. Would like to someday have a place near there. Love Black Mountain also.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:00 AM
madmax54
AutoX

Default Blue Ridge Pkwy near Linville

Actually I have lived here all my life, in the highest mountains east of the Rockies. We're about an hour or so north of Asheville, near Blowing Rock. I think the temperature has dropped, this picture is from just a while ago. It is a raw dog out there, this is my sacrificial winter vehicle. They won't last but about 4 years in the salt.
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2012, 11:02 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
23 degrees? Does air really get that cold?

Go and bury your head in an In-n-Out Burger!!!
Attached Images   
Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

3860'? That's a mountain? Heck, our local "hillclimb"-Palomar Mountain- has one road that rises over 4000' in about 7 miles.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:09 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom 97 C2-S, So. Cal.
Beautiful car and scenery. I, along with others, have waited to see these pics after the long drive home, only to become shoeless, then get the non water bath.

As a FYI - that car could NEVER be parked like that in a California Garage.

One little 4.0 shaker, and your car would instantly become a dartboard for that ladder, musket, buckets, stroller, lawn chairs and everything else not double pinned to the wall.

I don't get Ed's comment. It will be freezing out on the boat...Forecast is for low 70's through the weeked.

Musket...LOL I lived through the Sylmar quake (1971) and the Whittier quake (1985) and would like to think I'm finished with quakes. We had a couple of 4.0+ quakes the year after we moved here though (first over 4 in 60+ years) so I must be cursed! No worries, my car resides against the other wall. No hanging muskets et al. Only 1 ton of jewelry grade tigereye sitting on shelves above the car.......albeit wrapped in bubble wrap. Should soften the blow!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:13 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by madmax54
Actually I have lived here all my life, in the highest mountains east of the Rockies. We're about an hour or so north of Asheville, near Blowing Rock. I think the temperature has dropped, this picture is from just a while ago. It is a raw dog out there, this is my sacrificial winter vehicle. They won't last but about 4 years in the salt.
My 2000 Grand Cherokee and F350 do my winter heavy lifting! We moved to Maine from South Fork, Colorado where our home was at 9300 feet and could see the Divide 13 miles away.
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2012, 12:01 PM
madmax54
AutoX

"3860'? That's a mountain? "

Notice I said east of the Rockies. Also the oldest mountains in the world, geologists say that at one point they were also the highest. Check out this link, this is my home: http://www.grandfather.com
I dare say, the most beautiful mountains anywhere.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I still question the word mountains .....yes they are pretty (I've travelled the area), but they have some stiff competition in many parts of the world.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:24 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

These are are mountains in North Central PA. I live on top of one. That road you see at the bottom is a road built for cars like the 911. My wife and I started and sponsored "The PA Grand Canyon Tour" now called "The Keystone Canyon Cruise" in our local PCA chapter 12 years ago. It toured these roads in the fall. A friend of mine that owns a local winery has sponsored it the last few years. Many could not believe the mountains in central Pa. It has grown into a major event. Last year bringing in some pretty cool cars like a Porsche Carrera and other exotic makes. If anyone is interested in the details for this year let me know.

Last edited by TheMystro; 01-13-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:47 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,102 Likes on 787 Posts

hmmm after going to Hershey this cant be too far away ..
Old 01-13-2012, 02:16 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Go and bury your head in an In-n-Out Burger!!!
Whoa, hey, now just wait a min-niiiiite. You got those in Calif. You're importing sunny west coast goodness all the way to Maine. Way to go!

Quick Reply: Today's Drive: 23 degrees/sunny...blizzard tomorrow! 1/20 new pics!