Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Short Shift Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:17 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Short Shift Kit Install

Just received my "Porsche", short shift kit! I also bought a new bushing set, shift rod bushing, ball cup bushing and screw. I bought all the later, becaue they were cheap enough and figured it would be a good time to replace. Any tricks of the trade for this install or is it simple and straight forward? I am looking forward to eliminating rowing through the gears like an Oxford Oarsman!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:54 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a bench vise, disassembly and **** removal might be best done there. The little springs can go flying. Use some small screwdrivers to keep them aligned until you have the parts back together.

Btw, if yours is a late '84, then you might already have the short shifter.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I hate to rain on the parade, but Short shifters are not healthy for aged Porsche transmissions. They will only hasten the demise of something. If don't believe me, PM Pete Z for his thoughts. He's seen the insides of more trans than most.

Best to install the new bushings, make sure the coupler is adjusted correctly, and maybe add a Wevo, Rennshift or Seine kit to avoid a mis-shift, which a short shifter won't.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:13 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I think he's talking about the factory shifter parts, which might only shorten the throw about 15% or so if memory serves. Not enough to make much difference.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:30 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Shorter throw=more force changing gears

I still think some try to reinvent the shifting characteristics of a 915 trans. They are what they are, and are part of the character. They will never approximate the feel of a more modern Porsche, or any other car for that matter. The real snag on any pre-89 1/2 car is the distinct possibility in missing a shift plane, which a short shifter won't cure. My .02.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:35 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I've wondered in the past if changing the shift coupler to a ball/cup type or a universal joint (Stomsky and Wevo) might lessen the chance of transmission damage from changing the geometry.

The Wevo shifter is excellent for lessening the chance of a missed shift. One of the main problems with that design, and all designs with an open top, is that wear of the shift bushing occurs much faster, and shifter slop also increases the chances of a botched shift.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:05 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

okay getting back on point of the OP 's original question.

There is a big *** nut on the front of the shift housing that has to be loosened . if you are going to do all the work outside the car loosen this nut while the assmbly is still bolted to the floor of the car , will make life a lot easier.

The shifter itself is pretty straight forward . the PITA is the removal of the centre carpet , the console the heater contol lighting and sometimes even one of the seats if the carpet is jammed under there.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Sounds like a big pain in the ***! Not sure if I have the patience or the expertise for the install. I have been concerned w/ that everything is about 30yrs old and that in it's own potentially creates other issues. Might leave it to my speed shop.
Understood about the tranny life, harder shifting, etc. but that's not my intention. I am not bying it to get a better "chirp" from second and 3rd. I just feel the current config is too long, especially 1st to second and would like to be able to get easier / quicker shifts. "According" to Pelican parts, the OEM setup I bought, shortnes throws around 30%. Every stick I have ever owned either had a kit installed or I wound up installing one. It makes a world of a difference to me and my driving experiances.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:04 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

On an '84, you probably want to remove both seats in order to access the heater control, wgich has to be removed to get the carpet out. It's a good opportunity to clean the carpet and between the seats.

Sarge, you might consider either a Seine or Wevo shifter. Wevo shortens the throw by changing the geometry of the shifter.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:33 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Thanks for all the tips guys, but I am going to leave it to the experts! As far as the model, I bought the OEM shifter off Pelican Parts as well as the other components I mentioned in my original post. I am having it installed on Tuesday and will give my honest opinion that night. It can only get better from here!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:45 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,026 Likes on 730 Posts

ahh what a shame .. it really isn that difficult and a great project for a albeit warm afternoon .

I put a short shifter in mine as my legs are so short when i have the seat all the way forward when i went into second the shifter would hit the seat .. I found it a great mod but you better have your shifting technique pefect first and respect your gear box.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:45 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Bruce Anderson really likes the Wevo gateshift (installs in the transmission). I think that is probably my endgame to go with the billet shifter and u-joint coupler.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:21 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

So I had the kit installed! It's an OEM and also put in a new bushing set, shift rod bushing and ball cup bushing. It's a mojor improvement! The throws are much shorter and so much more precise and direct. Gives you great confidence one shift to the next. W/ the old config, I had trouble getting into certain gears and the shift between 1st and 2nd was never consistent in feel and sometimes would take a lot of work to get in. I was actually concerned it was my gear box. Now, ALL GONE!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Glad you are happy.

Just the bushing replacement and having the coupler adjusted correctly has solved many a shifting issue and made a given trans feel like new. It's amazing how many cars need a total of $35 in parts to feel new again.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:30 AM
masterdave
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Food for thought,

The 915 transmission derives from the old 908 race cars so I cant help but think they are for the most part similar. Those 908's had tiny shifters, I know that those transmissions saw less use and more frequent attention/fixes but some one over there though it was ok to do so, I think if these short shift kits posed a real threat to the trans Porsche would have never released them. I do realize they increase wear but I have always felt rebuilds, both trans and motor and an inevitability with these cars, granted it is a matter of when and how often. Does any oen have an estimate on how much wear these thigns put on the car. In other words how many miles would I lose by instaling one?

Regards
Dave

Quick Reply: Short Shift Kit Install