Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Big Time Oil Leak, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 06:25 PM
Max911SC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Big Time Oil Leak, HELP!

Was driving home on the highway last night (had been in the car for about two hours) and I noticed smoke trailing my car. Fortunately I was close to home. When I stopped at a light I could see the smoke and smell the burning oil.

The car has not leaked oil in the past except for the usual spot on the ground if it sits for a day or two. However, the next morning I saw alot of oil had leaked, and not from one particular spot. Doesn't look like it's coming from the valve covers. Judging from all of the smoke, I would think it was dripping onto the heat exchangers. Where and how do I begin to figure out where it's coming from? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:58 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suggest raising the back of the care and getting underneath to have a thorough look at the case. If there is oil on the case so, try to acertain how high up you can see new oil wetness. Could be a return tube.

Also, check all of your oil line fittings and clamps, including the cam tower oil lines (located on top) to ensure they are tight.

If the leak found at the very rear of the motor, it could be the rear crank seal, but its pretty hard for the oil to get to the heat exchangers from there.

One very likely culprit would be the oil pressure switch seal (o ring)or the engine thermostat (less likely) seal at the very front on the top side of the motor. A leak there will provide a lote of smoky embarassment due to contact with the heat exchangers. Its difficult to access for repair without a partial engine drop, but you should be able to check it with a flashlght and mechanics mirror.

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2002, 11:09 PM
Max911SC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I started the car this evening I noticed smoke coming from what looks like a pipe directly in line with the sump plate, if that makes sense. So I guess it might be coming from the top of the "middle" of the engine. I guess it could be coming from the breather hose? Bad gasket or seal?
Old 08-24-2002, 10:42 AM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are 4 oil return tubes that extend from the case. They are about 1.25" in diameter. The seals often go bad and the tubes must be replaced to correct the problem. Aftermarket kits with expaning tubes are available. I've never replaced any, but have herd that 3 out of 4 are relatively easy, but the 4th may require a heat exchanger removal for access.

If the oil is coming from even higher on the engine than the lower case, and the oil pressure switch or thermostat is ruled out, it could be coming a cylinder gasket.... in which case you should seek professional advice.

Quick Reply: Big Time Oil Leak, HELP!