Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

88 911 3.2 Cabriolet top protectant: good idea or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:29 PM
bprzekop
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 911 3.2 Cabriolet top protectant: good idea or bad?

I have always sprayed the Porsche Tequipment cabrio top protectant on my previous cabrios (a 996 and a 987 Boxster), but the owner's manual for my 1988 911 3.2 Cabriolet does not say anything about using this on the top. A local expert on cabrio tops said he believes it best not to use such a protectant on these tops as there can be a buildup which is both unsightly and perhaps not great for the fabric. He said that although you don't see "beading" when these tops are not protected, the protection is a poly sheet between the fabric layers of the top, so although the top looks "saturated", it will stay watertight. Does anyone with a similar vintage Porsche have experiences either way, or have you heard advice from a knowledgeable Porsche person?
Old 12-31-2011, 01:31 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

My '85 (owned since 1996) probably sees more water when I wash it than from rain, but I can confirm that the OEM canvas top looks saturated and stays watertight when wet. I think it will be fine if you don't put anything on it, but I don't know what benefits you might get from using it.

Thinking about it, one downside to allowing it to get saturated is that you then need to wait until it dries out completely before putting the top down again. Big deal?
Old 12-31-2011, 04:01 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wolfstiens Raggtop protectant is the way to go.

http://www.wolfsteins.com/index2.php
Old 12-31-2011, 04:35 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMystro
Wolfstiens Raggtop protectant is the way to go.

http://www.wolfsteins.com/index2.php
+1 Just ordered the $36.95 kit. Watch the YouTube videos. Very informative and convincing. Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:40 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel
My '85 (owned since 1996) probably sees more water when I wash it than from rain, but I can confirm that the OEM canvas top looks saturated and stays watertight when wet. I think it will be fine if you don't put anything on it, but I don't know what benefits you might get from using it.

Thinking about it, one downside to allowing it to get saturated is that you then need to wait until it dries out completely before putting the top down again. Big deal?
I think you're about due for a bit of a reseal.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:42 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by oldskewel

I think you're about due for a bit of a reseal.

The water on the top on my Benz beads up.
So did my Boxster.

Quick Reply: 88 911 3.2 Cabriolet top protectant: good idea or bad?