Clean Carfax, BUT story is

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clean Carfax, BUT story is

Happy and healthy holidays to all.

I am in pursuit of a 1986 Carerra and have ran into something I have not seen and perhaps its just nothing, but thought I would check the boards wisdom on this.

Carfax shows a clean title.....no rebuilt, salvage, theft etc. , however, the current owner forwarded me all the correspondence he had with previous owners (4) and the 2nd owner indicated he had bought the car from dealership in Detroit who had purchased the car from Florida where it had been in storage for years. The story was that the car may have been confiscated in a drug related raid, but no proof that it was.

Is this something that should be looked into further or with clean Carfax just assume title is not tainted ?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:35 AM
BlackSpyder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't speak to the story of the second owner but Carfax is no guarantee that the car did not have previous damage and /or totaled. Especially with older cars as the record keeping back in the 80's and 90's was much less reliable. Carfax is a tool that is used more so when buying late model cars but it is by no means the end all tell all of a cars history. They have done a very good job of marketing their product and for the most part it is a good product..

Case in point I just bought a 2002 Jeep off my sister and I/we know in fact that she wrecked the vehical. I ran a carfax on it out of curiosity and it came back clean no damage/wreck history so...

2nd example is I bought a salvaged title 1996 BMW and when I had it registered in NM in my name when it came back from the DMV the title was "clean". I don't know if someone over looked it or what. However the carfax still showed it totaled. So I could have sold the car to someone as a clean title car as long as they did'nt run a carfax on it..

Do as much detective homework as you can and have the car thoroughly inspected...then go with your gut..

regards,

Mike
Old 12-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 235 Posts

If you think the car was involved in a drug raid, you might bring it by the local PD and have a K-9 dog check it. The K-9s on military bases always offered us this service on used cars, just to make sure. Last thing you need is to get pulled over on a traffic stop down the road in your "new" used car to find out a kilo of "something" was stashed in your car and was missed in the raid years ago.

Quick Reply: Clean Carfax, BUT story is