Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wintering a late '60's 911...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 12:00 PM
George H
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wintering a late '60's 911...

I'm looking at buying a '68 911L (posted yesterday with some questions, still have more it seems!)...

I live in the northeast, with appropriately harsh winters. I'm somewhat concerned about buying a pre-galvanization car when I'm not entirely certain how I'll be storing it for the winter. I've got a two car garage, but there's no way the girlfriend is giving me her spot, and most likely the 911 wouldn't get my spot, since I really don't want to be digging my daily driver out every time it snows...

So, how bad is it to leave one of these cars parked outside? What about with a car cover? I haven't done a lot of research on local self-storage options with units big enough to park a car, but I can't count on that being an option.
In all likelihood I'd have to park it in my condo's fenced in storage area where people can leave boats and RVs, under a cover and not drive it all winter... how bad is that?

I love the car, I just don't want to drop a big chunk of change on it and not be able to keep it in good condition...
Old 05-29-2003, 04:43 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
personally i wouldnt do that.

what i would do is find winter car storage facillity and park it there.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:33 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
George:

It's best to get those cars of that vintage out of the elements, especially for winter.

Yes, you can store it under a cover, but the covers tend to move a lot on the car during windy weather and wear at the paint. Any dirt that's under the cover acts like sandpaper when the cover is moving.

Also, storing outside tends to trap more moisture under a cover than inside a building. I've seen snow blow into places I'd never think it could get. Moisture and '68 911's don't mix too well.

My suggestion is to get the car in a storage facility for the winter. It'll cost you less in the long run .

Good luck,

Jay
90 964

Quick Reply: Wintering a late '60's 911...