Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

964 rough running and brake light breather hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 02:01 AM
georgie
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post 964 rough running and brake light breather hoses?

Hello,

Just purchased the car two weeks ago. '89 C4. Coincidence or not(?): I was having problems with condensation in my tail lights. I investigated and discovered the clear tubes coming out of the body which are plugging into the tail light assemblies. What are these? Tonight, I disconnected each at the right and left rear light assembly thinking maybe hot air coming in here was the culprit of my condesation problems.

Coincidentally in heading out tonight right after having disconnected these hoses, I got 1/4 mile down the road and the car started misfiring and just had no power. Seemed almost like a bad vacuum had been created. Like what I've been told occurs when the distributor problem develops with these cars. Only one side of the engine firing.

Very little response in correlation between gas pedal movement and throttle response. Just no power at all. Are these tail light hoses somehow connectd to the distributor vent kit breather hoses, as this modification has been done to my car?

I almost parked the car, as it was just running absolutely horribly. It smelled like something was burning, and the car put off a light gray smoke from the tail pipe. Almost seemed like water in the fuel or the mixture had gone all wrong. Any correlation? I reconnected the hoses at the tail light assembly and gradually the performance improved. Most power was back at my return to the garage, but at idle the idle level was acting odd, etc. Car still acting up a bit.

Please help..........thanks!
Old 05-29-2003, 09:22 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You might try posting your questions on the 964 Board for a quicker response.

Bruce

Quick Reply: 964 rough running and brake light breather hoses?