Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Just wondering... 74 targa w/ 3.0sc engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Halcyon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Just wondering... 74 targa w/ 3.0sc engine

I drive a 95' 993 coupe tiptronic right now. But I just bumped into this as I was aimlessly browsing on craiglist for fun. Not exactly planning to switch cars. But JUST wondering, since my parents drive a P!g (cayenne ) and a lexus and they had been wondering about how cool it would be to swap out that lexus.
anyway, I'm looking at thishttp://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/2724617586.html
(no affiliation ) ( is this any rennlister's car ? o.O )
I got to admire how this car is older than me and yet it doesn't seem to show its age that much.
I've read how durable the 3.0 is compared to the 2.7 and heard that it is a nice thing to have, so it doesn't hurt value that much. Is that right?
It seems to have quite a few body work done on it, like the rsr front bumper and "turbo flair". I take it that the turbo flair/ widebody is just aftermarket and not factory? It looks nice, but how does that affect value? Purist will hate it huh?
And in terms of handling, how different is it from the 993? do their back ends tend to swing around more often? And since I've never learned how to drive a manual ( yes i'm missing out ), and my parents sort of forgot how to, is it hard to learn?
Is the price right or optimistic or a steal? ( I can't tell since it is neither a original 74 targa or a 81 sc ,and it has all these suspension upgrade and a 3.0 engine )
note again * i'm just *wondering* to gain some knowledge and probably not really going for it , or else I would already be getting PPI and reading through maintenance and stuff

thanks
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2011, 10:52 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

First thought, the front nose fit is horrible. Also, there will be no (zero) creature comforts you are currently enjoying in your 993. No A/C, No comfortable ride, No assisted clutch or steering, ect.

I bet there is a TON of bondo added to that flair kit, yes, it is aftermarket and poorly done.

Porsche did not treat the chassis for corrosion til 1976, I believe, so there may be a rust issue, you probably will not have that issue on the body, due to the fact the entire is probably fiberglass now.

For that asking price, you should find a nice, sorted early 1980s SC car.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:53 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

nice car a bit high. 12 or 13 maybe
Old 12-20-2011, 11:15 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Flare kit looks pretty well done from here - a 3.0 and 7/31 transmission makes for a very quick feeling car. the 76 will be lighter than a 993 - depending on the extent - 993 is probably closer to 3100 lbs - the 76 is probably closer to 2500 lbs (mine is 2200 lbs)

no PS - No power assisted brakes - no ABS - Torsion Bar car - which means it's tougher to drive than the later model 911s.

It's probably a 14-15K car - but raw, connected, and much more fun.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:25 AM
masterdave
Racer

+1 for the things stated above. You wont get the comforts of the 993 but personally I have a 78 Targa with no AC and its great in the summer with the top down. Its black on black so it can get hot at times but nothing that bad. In terms of the 3.0 VS the 2.7 the big difference is the magnesium crank case on the 2.7 I have never had an experience with these but the issue that I have read is that due to overheating the head studs can pull out of the block and create issues. The 3.0 has its share of issues as well. If it has not been updated to the carrera tensionors that is much advised. some of the oldest 3.0 engines also have the 5 blade fan which many if not every one has upgraded to the 11 blade a highly recommended change.

In my opinion it doesn't get better than these cars. They are true sports cars, real, raw, un-tamed. There is no traction control, no navigation, no AC, no cup holders, no abs, no power steering but this is not grandmas new camery this is a Porsche. Its meet to be driven maybe with no destination in mind, not just taken to the grocery store although I get many groceries in my SC all the time. You may find your self driving this car more than the 993. If you are at all serious ask the PO if he kept the original bumper I would say switch it back but thats just me.

Regards
Dave
Old 12-21-2011, 04:40 AM
Halcyon
Racer

Wow, thanks for the info !

Hmm, thanks hkplinker for reminding me about rust issue. I haven't thought of that before since I never owned such an old car before. Glad to learn that pre 74's dont have rust protection. It doesn't snow around here in San Fran/Los Angeles so there isn't much salt on the road , so what do you guys do? Do you guys pray that it doesn't get rusty every night? And can't fall asleep after driving it in the rain? Or do you all oil it to prevent rust? Cuz the most salt it might see would be when I drive it up and down the coastline...

One of you guys say the flair kit looks nicely fitted and one of you not. haha. I can't tell, but it looks alright from my screen xD And you are right that this does seem to be a much lighter car than my 993 since this one has a gutted interior with light seats and backseat delete and rs door etc. interesting interesting.

Raw and fun. That sounds really tempting! Who needs AC in California when its always not too hot not too cold here. I feel like if I actually get this I'll just end up getting addicted to going to the track.

anyway, thanks for the info
Old 12-21-2011, 04:48 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Poor thing looks like it has an African lip plate. Other than that I like it.

All it needs is an H4 conversion and an oil cooler front and center and that thing would be awesome. No smog would totally rock my world.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:00 AM
Halcyon
Racer

^ now that you mention it... it does but like you said, i like the rest :P

just found that he posted on pelican http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ody-3-0-a.html
with some more pic of the underside....since you guys mention rust, hmm.... there are brown spots that i see. interesting ...

well at least we now know it is lowered to $15.9k
Old 12-21-2011, 05:17 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

#2 the valve covers have not been off that engine in a looooong time.

#5. CV boot. Serious problem in picture

#6 no rear sway bar.

#7 rust on the tray

#11 the rubber one way plugs are missing

#14 no rear skirt

That has got to be the dirtiest 911 underbelly I've ever seen. Someone needs to take a pressure washer to it pronto. Other than that, she's a beauty.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:00 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

How did it pass the PPI with "flying colors" with that CV boot and leaking oil line?

Front bumper gap with the hood looks out of alignment.

No SSI's and the motor looks filthy underneath.

Wonder what kind of shape the Targa top is in?

This looks cleaner with the 3.2 SS motor and 964 tail and is at least galvanized

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rga-3-2ss.html
Old 12-21-2011, 12:36 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also looks like the half shaft boot(s) are torn from what I can see. Several areas are reddish brown, especially the battery area in the trunk.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:57 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

John,
Don't get me wrong. I love the mid 70's cars. I recently sold my 76 targa with a hopped up motor pushing 225 Hp. The clutch is a Sachs high performance and it is stiff and hurts my back after a long spirited drive (I had a herniated disk years ago), but the power band and the exhaust note was fantastic. I was running SSI's headers to a GHL 3" stainless pipe. Man, I still miss that car.

For a price reference, I sold the car only weeks ago for $ 19,500. It was one of the cleanest and best running 911's I have owned
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

I wonder what kind of criticism Ruby is going to get when she is listed in 2012?
Old 12-21-2011, 02:12 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

What? You can't sell Ruby!

The nose on the grey car does look a little odd - I have the same version (IROC) and it doesn't look near as pronounced

Old 12-21-2011, 02:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I wonder what kind of criticism Ruby is going to get when she is listed in 2012?
dont worry Ed you get a special place . We will think up some extra special criticism for you

and i havent even commented on this one .. figure i had said enough this week

Quick Reply: Just wondering... 74 targa w/ 3.0sc engine