91 Octane?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 03:02 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Reiver
Not personally but I know lots of HotRod guys that swear by it. The only reason I looked into it is because Vizard recommends the stuff (he also said use it at 50% the rec level and it still works great).
He built two Identical SBC's, mic'ed them, and ran them both on stands for quite awhile in a controlled experiment. One with, one without ACES 4. On tear down the one that used aces had 600% less wear in the piston area and similar results in the valve train, especially when it came to valve seat recession.
He annotates this in his 'How To rebuild your SBC" series. It is the only additive he's ever rec.
I will use it in the Porsche for it's top end lubricity and protection...a thing mostly lost with unleaded fuels.
My high mile car could use the help.
The Octane boost has been chronicled by lots of folks testing the stuff....google it and you'll see.
The disclaimer, I have no affiliation with anything but my wife!

Thanks for your input. I'll look into it more.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I beg to differ. I've seen very impressive results from Torco on high compression, high boost cars making 800+ hp on pump gas.

Yes, you need to change the plugs more frequently, but the octane is there.
You are talking apples to our oranges.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:10 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I agree Ed. I like oranges better!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Late to the party, but my 911 goes up to Maine all the time and probably half the gas that goes in it is 91 with no problems. I do only run high end gas (Shell, Mobil, Exxon, etc.) though.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

why?

Octane is octane, and torco is an octane booster.

Furthermore, it takes only a fairly small amount to go from 91 to 93.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:43 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to add booster. The car is capable of handling slightly deficient gasoline; I'm in Utah and have the same (non) problem. While on the subject of fuel, I've noticed a lot of talk about ethanol free fuel. I have a station not too far from me that advertises ethanol free gasoline. I tried it for several tanks. My mileage dropped off! Furthermore, if there was any increase in power, it was marginal. Buy high quality fuel and keep the tank topped off in the cold weather to prevent condensation in the space above the fuel in your tank. You'll be fine.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

why?

Octane is octane, and torco is an octane booster.

Furthermore, it takes only a fairly small amount to go from 91 to 93.
Your 800HP motor has no bearing on the motors here. Whatever they run is what they run. Much difference on parts, tolerance, cooling, etc. The chance of it being torn down for rehab is greater than most here who are looking for longevity.

Truth be told; if there is a "difference of opinion" between you and Steve Weiner, I'm going with Steve's opinion every time.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Have to 'feel' for those that now have to be concerned about where to
find the right octane because of some mod they did. I have enough of
of a problem when driving the twisties to the Laguna Seca races to just
find any gas station, i.e. much less than the right octane.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Have to 'feel' for those that now have to be concerned about where to
find the right octane because of some mod they did. I have enough of
of a problem when driving the twisties to the Laguna Seca races to just
find any gas station, i.e. much less than the right octane.
That indeed was an issue I had for my first couple of years back in Calif after enjoying 93 in TX for our time there. Mixing 100/91 at 1:3 ratio. For a car that doesn't do long distance drives any more, it wasn't too bad.

Thank goodness for twin-plugging to go with my displacement/compression increase!
Old 12-14-2011, 04:52 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Found 100 octane VP racing fuel here in Maine but they want $13-15 per gallon, ouch!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Your 800HP motor has no bearing on the motors here. Whatever they run is what they run. Much difference on parts, tolerance, cooling, etc. The chance of it being torn down for rehab is greater than most here who are looking for longevity.

Truth be told; if there is a "difference of opinion" between you and Steve Weiner, I'm going with Steve's opinion every time.
uh, yes it does. Porsche engines don't run on magic (maybe hopes and dreams). They are Internal combustion just like any other. Parts and cooling is fantastic, but it has no bearing here. The car, if properly tuned for it, will run better on 93 than 91...and thats whether its pump 93 or 91 or 91+ torco to = 93.

MTBE, which is the primary octane booster in torco, is what was in pump gasoline at the time these cars were built.

As noted, if you run heavy quantities of the stuff (i.e. trying to turn 93 into 98+), you may reduce the life of your spark plugs. Going from 91 to 93 will result in a likely statistically insignificant reduction in plug life.

Steve weiner can disagree all day long and you can feel free to agree with him. But I've seen torco work, and its not like the stupid slick 50 and NOS octane booster crap you buy in the parts store. Those...as he noted...do not work.

Perhaps if you understood engines and octane better, you would realize that the brand on the hood has very little to do with its octane requirements and the use of effective octane booster.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

most of the octane booster you get at your flaps actually raise octane .3 or .4 not 3 or 4 actual points, read the fine print.
Quadcammer, try ACES IV or look into it. Has some interesting results as tested other than a solid octane boost.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:47 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Steve weiner can disagree all day long and you can feel free to agree with him. But I've seen torco work, and its not like the stupid slick 50 and NOS octane booster crap you buy in the parts store. Those...as he noted...do not work.

Perhaps if you understood engines and octane better, you would realize that the brand on the hood has very little to do with its octane requirements and the use of effective octane booster.
I understand engines well enough, particularly these. If I want to slow down the ignition of the fuel mixture in my combustion chamber, I'm doing it with octane, not octane booster. On mine, I even added the second bank of plugs. The hemispherical head and piston profile of our engines are already challenged enough to get even combustion. It just isn't worth screwing around with octane booster.

I need to learn not to feed the troll, as you are becoming known on RL, when you're around.

Why don't you go slum somewhere else, you've nothing to add here. When you do come around, you **** someone off, not just me.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Thank goodness for twin-plugging to go with my displacement/compression increase!"

- Ed Hughes -

One of the few that understands what needs to be done with the 911 3.2
engine when one starts doing mods for performance. Too bad others here
and on Pelican only listen to the other Lemmings.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:13 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I understand engines well enough, particularly these. If I want to slow down the ignition of the fuel mixture in my combustion chamber, I'm doing it with octane, not octane booster. On mine, I even added the second bank of plugs. The hemispherical head and piston profile of our engines are already challenged enough to get even combustion. It just isn't worth screwing around with octane booster.

I need to learn not to feed the troll, as you are becoming known on RL, when you're around.

Why don't you go slum somewhere else, you've nothing to add here. When you do come around, you **** someone off, not just me.
I give up. You like to use 100 octane race fuel...while thats fine, it also presents its own issues (like the different stoich a/f ratio), but do not denegrate effective octane boosters like Torco. It raises octane in the exact same fashion as higher octane race fuels.

if you aren't familiar with how it performs, perhaps you shouldn't use it, but you also shouldn't deny it from others.

there difference between you and me is that I don't care if I **** people off on here. I'd rather have a technical discussion on its merits where people get flaming mad and tell each other off than yet another thread where everybody strokes each other about how "bulletproof" their cars are.

Quick Reply: 91 Octane?