Optima battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:59 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Question Optima battery

What is the deal with Optima batteries? I was told by Clem at Advance Auto Parts that you need some sort of adapter kit and that if it goes dead that you cannot jump if the normal way with jumper cables or using one of those portable jump starters. I was told you have to jump it using another battery and to just carry a spare with me, Huh? Sounds like a P.I.B. to me! Here are my questions:

1) Should I just get an Interstate and be able to use a portable jump starter and trickle charger and call it a day?

2) What is the adapter kit and is it hard to install?

3) Are they worth the extra inconveniences and $$$?

Thanks again for help with all my questions!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:13 AM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crazy,
I have used these on several cars without any issues. The jump start is a non-issue to me. I've jumped them for other people with no problems. I do use a "maintainer" on the '91 since it sits a lot.
There is an issue with recharging these when they go completely dead. You can do a serach for the procedure but, basically, it involves putting another battery in parrallel with it so the charger can "see" the load. The secret is to not let one get completely dead. That's the reason for the maintainer.
On the other hand, I don't like the Optima in the '91 because it is a tad too tall. It's not much but, just enough to cause the floor in the truck to not be flat. Your car may be different in which the height may not come into play. Anyway, for this reason, my next battery will be an Interstate if they are the correct height.

Gary
Old 12-09-2011, 11:40 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This FAQ has all your answers. http://www.optimabatteries.com/product_support/faqs.php
Old 12-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

No time to read your post. Just find yourself the Interstate Battery. Yes, They are a customer of mine and I do have the battery myself.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Tim,

Boy, there is a lot of BS & misinformation about these batteries out there.

Optima's are very good batteries with one idiosyncrasy: they do not like being fully discharged and if so, require a charger that can handle an AGM battery. Use a maintainer and they really last for many years (6+). I've had them on my cars since 1978 without issues after I learned how to take care of them.

Interstate's are also very good, however they do not have have the CCA power that the Optima's do and thats important for large engines and/or cold weather.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:13 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 45 minute drive to work, so when I leave in the AM is dark. By the time I get to work is full daylight. As you will find out, these cars don't have a chime alerting you're lights are on. Twice I have drained the battery completely.

I have jumped my Optima these two times. I hope I haven't damaged anything by doing this, but both times after a 30 mile drive back to the house, it fired right up that day and the next day.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:08 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi Tim,

Boy, there is a lot of BS & misinformation about these batteries out there.

Optima's are very good batteries with one idiosyncrasy: they do not like being fully discharged and if so, require a charger that can handle an AGM battery. Use a maintainer and they really last for many years (6+). I've had them on my cars since 1978 without issues after I learned how to take care of them.

Interstate's are also very good, however they do not have have the CCA power that the Optima's do and thats important for large engines and/or cold weather.

What brand of maintainer do you recommend? Thanks Steve!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Tim, you need to start searching.

I've posted on what it took to put an Optima in my '84 a few years ago. Many here run them, and this comes up fairly often.

I'm sure there are $30 adapters out there, but a $5 cutting board from Target and an hour or so, is all it took.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:06 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim, Ed is spot on. An adapter can be made to fit the Optima to a 911. That's what the battery guy probably meant. I bought an adapter from Zim's several years ago and my Optima has never burped in 6 years. I do not have a maintainer on it either. I drive it once or twice a week (weather is fairly nice year round here in San Antonio). I no longer have the acid rsidue to contend with which satisfies me greatly. Car stay clean too.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:35 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ron mcatee
Tim, Ed is spot on. An adapter can be made to fit the Optima to a 911. That's what the battery guy probably meant. I bought an adapter from Zim's several years ago and my Optima has never burped in 6 years. I do not have a maintainer on it either. I drive it once or twice a week (weather is fairly nice year round here in San Antonio). I no longer have the acid rsidue to contend with which satisfies me greatly. Car stay clean too.

Sounds like the way I'll go. Thanks Ron!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Here's all you need to know:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ima-power.html
Old 12-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
What brand of maintainer do you recommend? Thanks Steve!
I have 4 of them in my personal possession I use for my own cars: 2 of them are CTek's, one is a new Bosch, and one is an old Gates.

All of these work just fine. The CTek's are on the AGM-equipped cars, the Bosch one has an AGM feature so its used on anything, and the Gates is used for the one vehicle with an Interstate.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:26 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Thanks Ed. I owe you mucho tacos!

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
I have 4 of them in my personal possession I use for my own cars: 2 of them are CTek's, one is a new Bosch, and one is an old Gates.

All of these work just fine. The CTek's are on the AGM-equipped cars, the Bosch one has an AGM feature so its used on anything, and the Gates is used for the one vehicle with an Interstate.
Thanks again Steve for your sage advice!
Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After having my lead acid battery nearly explode and leak all over the place, I switched to an Optima when I replaced my voltage regulator.
I fashioned a mounting adapter out of a 3/8 thick nylon cutting board as per a diagram I found here.

Pelican Article

The plate bolted to the bottom of the battery, and fits in the stock mounting lip and clamp.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by irobertson
After having my lead acid battery nearly explode and leak all over the place, I switched to an Optima when I replaced my voltage regulator.
I fashioned a mounting adapter out of a 3/8 thick nylon cutting board as per a diagram I found here.

Pelican Article

The plate bolted to the bottom of the battery, and fits in the stock mounting lip and clamp.
See post 11 above....

Quick Reply: Optima battery