Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Topping off oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:01 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dshepp806
Salukijac,..I remember several people posting references to the window you provided. just for heck of it, I took a look into my Owners Manual (1989)...and found the following (page 60), under the heading of ENGINE OIL/ENGINE OIL CONSUMPTION:

"It is normal for your engine to consume oil. The rate of oil consumption depends on the quality and viscosity of oil, the speed at which the engine is operated, the climate, road conditions as well as the amount of dilution and oxidation of the lubricant.

Because of these variables, no standard rate of oil consumption can be established, but drivers should expect increased oil consumption at high speed and when the engine is new."

WOW,..well,..there you go! They didn't provide a spec (apparently) for my car!

mmmm.....

Doyle
Now I'm questioning myself...let me try to find the reference. I know there are several threads here referencing the 700 mile range, even one of 600 miles from one of the "well respected" posters. If I can't find it...I'll retract it.

BTW, you're correct on the verbiage above...my owner's manual states the same...where did I read it?????????

Last edited by salukijac; 12-07-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:48 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright...let's post the correct consumption of a 3.2L according to Peter Zimmerman from his book the The Used 911 Story. "...Normal oil consumption for these cars is roughly one quart per 1,000 miles, and we usually recommend a top end (valve) job when consumption approaches one quart per 300 miles."

This is the best I can do for now...if I find the other reference, I will post.

Good challenge Doyle.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:18 AM
CorsePerVita
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I've heard varying numbers. I was told basically that if it isn't exceeding 2 quarts every 700ish miles then the engine isn't in "time for a rebuild" mode - although people's preferences seem to vary at this number. I've seen people say that they go in for a rebuild at that sort of consumption. Others go by the Porsche recommended criteria. Mine consumes 1qt every 600-1000 miles and it runs like a top. Little puff at startup and the rest of the drive is normal once it warms up. I'm not worried about it.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

My 3.0 consumption varies depending upon my right foot. I used a bit today (BP 20w50) but I was hitting 120 mph and running 80 + consistantly and winding thru the rpms.
If I drive conservatively the consumption drops off drastically. So I suspect a lot of the dif cons. rates are related to the driver as much as anything else.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:19 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reiver
My 3.0 consumption varies depending upon my right foot. I used a bit today (BP 20w50) but I was hitting 120 mph and running 80 + consistantly and winding thru the rpms.
If I drive conservatively the consumption drops off drastically. So I suspect a lot of the dif cons. rates are related to the driver as much as anything else.
Kinda like what the manual says, no?

I've definately heard variances quoted. Even Wayne, himself, has a piece extracted from his book stating the following:

"""So how much oil should your 911 engine be consuming? One quart per 1000 miles is about the standard amount for the 911 engine. Newly rebuilt engines with about 5,000 miles on them will usually burn this amount. If your engine is consuming significantly more oil than this, you have a problem. Consumption of two quarts per 1000 miles is certainly cause for concern""".

Others have posted similar +/- (making use of the term "probably").

Clearly there is an acceptable range and it appears to be vary wide. With my car requiring (roughly) 1/2 quart at the oil change (and that's at (roughly) 3k miles). If it were to start using 1 quart in a thousand miles, I'D FREAK. (even with it being an approximate standard (or, should I say, "target"?)---(or should I say MAXIMUM?????????????) Surely this would vary with time (wear)...as well as the factors stated in the manual.

I was reading in another group where someone spec'd oil usage on 997 M96 motor was 1.6 quarts per 622 miles......

????????????????????????????

Best,

Doyle
Old 12-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Being car nuts it s easy to worry about the six's oil 'use'...I've convinced myself not to as, my car now has 216.5 k miles, does not smoke on start up or decel, runs strong as all hell, had great leak down numbers at 214 K (all pots 4-6)...so if she wants to drink a bit...cheers!
I like German Beer, a good Merlot and the P seems to like BP Green (in moderation of course).
Old 12-08-2011, 07:52 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by Reiver
Being car nuts it s easy to worry about the six's oil 'use'...I've convinced myself not to as, my car now has 216.5 k miles, does not smoke on start up or decel, runs strong as all hell, had great leak down numbers at 214 K (all pots 4-6)...so if she wants to drink a bit...cheers!
I like German Beer, a good Merlot and the P seems to like BP Green (in moderation of course).
+1!!

Doyle

Old 12-08-2011, 10:35 PM
yumyum1667
Racer

Originally Posted by CorsePerVita
Yeah I've heard varying numbers. I was told basically that if it isn't exceeding 2 quarts every 700ish miles then the engine isn't in "time for a rebuild" mode - although people's preferences seem to vary at this number. I've seen people say that they go in for a rebuild at that sort of consumption. Others go by the Porsche recommended criteria. Mine consumes 1qt every 600-1000 miles and it runs like a top. Little puff at startup and the rest of the drive is normal once it warms up. I'm not worried about it.
I've got the same consumption. I too get a little puff at startup but thats about it. It sure runs great.

With my next valve adjustment I will do a leakdown to see how it looks.

Greg
Old 12-08-2011, 10:39 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

Hey, Crazy,
Is it me, or your picture? It looks like your tire has been rinning on that sidewall for some time. It appears to have that "ring or wear" and may need replacement.

You know, you could get a set of replacement wheels and slap on a set of R compound rubbers and have your Fuchs in street tread.

I'm just saying . . . .
Old 12-09-2011, 11:11 AM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
Hey, Crazy,
Is it me, or your picture? It looks like your tire has been rinning on that sidewall for some time. It appears to have that "ring or wear" and may need replacement.

You know, you could get a set of replacement wheels and slap on a set of R compound rubbers and have your Fuchs in street tread.

I'm just saying . . . .

What is "rinning'? What would a "R" tire do for me? Is that "Race"?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:18 AM
MG944
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The oil consumption numbers for 944 at least are in the owners manuals so i assume the 911 numbers are in the handbooks for the older models. Mid 1980's models should have it my guess.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:40 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

So I guess after all the hoopla here that I should've been adding oil during my trip. Guess better late than never! Thanks for everybody's input! I'll let everyone know how much it takes to bring it back up to mid-level.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:37 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Yep, that's about what my 1996 911 consumed. The dealer told me it was normal AND that they'd top it up for free if I just pulled in when it needed some oil. My 2005 water-cooled 911 doesn't seem to burn nearly as much oil - tighter rings?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:10 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DesignerGenes
Yep, that's about what my 1996 911 consumed. The dealer told me it was normal AND that they'd top it up for free if I just pulled in when it needed some oil. My 2005 water-cooled 911 doesn't seem to burn nearly as much oil - tighter rings?

Nice PR move by the dealership. Others could learn from such a simple and very inexpensive move. Happy Holidays.

Quick Reply: Topping off oil