Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Arizona SC's & summer heat

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 AM
bobaines
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by juz4two
What differences or gains did you see with the change/upgrade?
I am not sure that the question is relevant in the way it is stated for my experience. I installed the blockoff plates at the same time I installed the cooler, so there is no data for a before and after on the blockoff plates. I did this shortly after I got the car some 5 years ago. I have never seen temps over 210 and most of the time the temp stabilizes just over 180 which is where the thermostat opens. It is how the factory delivered cars with these coolers when new.

I only have anecdotal information from people who have installed coolers only which did not give them the lower temps they expected. And input from people that after installing the blockoff plates have reported improved cooling.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:16 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by bobaines
I am not sure that the question is relevant in the way it is stated for my experience. I installed the blockoff plates at the same time I installed the cooler, so there is no data for a before and after on the blockoff plates. I did this shortly after I got the car some 5 years ago. I have never seen temps over 210 and most of the time the temp stabilizes just over 180 which is where the thermostat opens. It is how the factory delivered cars with these coolers when new.

I only have anecdotal information from people who have installed coolers only which did not give them the lower temps they expected. And input from people that after installing the blockoff plates have reported improved cooling.
No experience yet but expect that to be spot on. Dead air (or very little) will move around the oil cooler unless it is forced thru with the block off system just as a stopped cars radiator does not work without a fan pulling the air through.
Are you running a fan too, I forgot if I've asked that?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:01 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I didn't run a fan on my SC just the Carrera cooler. I tried to avoid stop and go traffic, though.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Just got off the phone with a Porsche shop owner in Phoenix that has spec in our cars for 35 years or so. I was trying to source the '84 and later front right oil cooler (used/salvage), block off deal.
He is a friend of a friend so he told me not to bother. He said he's tested the cooler vs the trombone on 3.0 cars (same car) and in 105 degree weather and it was running exactly the same temp within +/- 5 degrees.
He said it only makes sense if you run the fan too as without it has no real effect, in his experience.
He rec an upgrade if I raised my horsepower 50+ or was going to track it at high speeds in summer temps.
So I'll wait and see how she does in the summer and save the money for something else.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:41 AM
rgoodrich
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an SC in Havasu. Only have the trombone cooler, and it's almost always 200-210. I don't have air, so no rear condenser, so that may make a difference.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by rgoodrich
I have an SC in Havasu. Only have the trombone cooler, and it's almost always 200-210. I don't have air, so no rear condenser, so that may make a difference.
The owner of Stuttgart Southwest in Phx told me the same thing. He was a very nice guy and straightforward. He's tested the cooler vs the trombone and without the whole fan set up/blockoff it runs the same temps. Told me it was unneccesary.
Nice to have a guy that makes money servicing our cars tell me to save my money and not give it to him for nothing.
Think I've found the right service shop.

Quick Reply: Arizona SC's & summer heat