I'm back! '83 Coupe...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm back! '83 Coupe...

All:

I posted this on Pelican but wasn't sure how many of you guys frequent both sites...

Little history... My first 911 was an '89 targa back in '07;

Loved it, but the A/C wasn't much use once it got over 85 degrees. Plus I always wanted the top off, and my wife wanted it back on. In addition, I wanted to drive the car year round. So in '09 I sold it & bought a 993;

Loved it. Much better A/C, quieter, all wheel drive, and great looking. But after a few years I decided to sell it to free up some cash for a few projects.

Never thought I'd miss owning a car so much!

So last week I picked up an '83 Coupe;

This thing is a blast! I actually prefer the 'feel' of it to my 993. The A/C doesn't work, the paint/body has some dings.dents and scratches, and the Fuchs are in need of some paint, but it has had the head studs replaced, Carrera chain tensioners installed, engine rebuild, regular maintenance and runs like a champ.

So I have some upgrades planned...

-A/C. I've done some research but am not sure what the 'latest & greatest' is? I know it's going to cost me several thousand, but is a necessity as the weather here goes well into the 90's in the summer. Need help with this!

-H4's. Anyone got a set for sale? Preferably with India Red trim rings? If not, cheapest place to get some?

-Short shift kit & correct shift ****. After some research, I'm going OEM. I think RacerBVD has one FS, failing that I'll pick one up from our host.

-930s Steering wheel. I put one in my targa & loved it. Again, if you have a used 930s wheel or just the hub I am interested.

-Stone guards. Is it 'the done thing' to put them on a NB car? I always thought they look cool on red coupes.

There's some other small stuff it needs- New hood crest, Floor mats, hood shocks, and trunk seal. But overall I'm really happy with it.

Thoughts/comments/suggestions? Got any of the stuff I'm looking for?

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:16 PM
masterdave
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going for the short shift kit I would put in new shifter bearings while you are in there. Both at the shifter and at the trans joint. If you dont have it the "101 projects for your 911" shows how to do it and is a great book to get. I have the stone guards but have not put them on yet, waiting to repaint the car before I do. As my car is black I also think they would look a bit silly right now. I agree they do look quite nice on red and or white cars. Since you have owned one of these already im sure you know but when ever I get a new car I always do the basic maintenance before using it. Replace, Plugs, Distro cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, oil, all other fluids get topped off.

Regards
Dave
Old 11-20-2011, 07:38 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great choice of 911. I had stone guards on my 85 red Carrera. I love the look on red. I am not sure yet on my CE 88 Targa.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:19 PM
Fonz0
Instructor

+1 on a great source for H-4's. Would like for my 87.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:23 PM
yumyum1667
Racer

Hey nice car. It looks like mine minus the tail. As far as AC from what I understand you can drop thousands and it is still marginal. Mine is not working either and I made it Ok through summer here in the south with all of the humidity. I will get mine AC working before summer but I'm not sure I am going to upgrade.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Nice. Am really liking the feel of my '83 sc too. My AC works but not well and will be interested in your AC work as I'll be doing the same come spring...the 110 degrees here is a tad much without.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:53 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Fonz0
+1 on a great source for H-4's. Would like for my 87.
I thought the '87's had them? I'm talking about the glass & trim ring upgrade?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I got my H4's from fellow rennlister and neighbor of yours, Steve Weiner at www.rennsportsystems.com . He also supplied me with the relay and 80/100watt bulbs. I got the black rings and love them on the blue/blue/black cab.

Welcome back, by the way.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks nice, congrats!

But, i must comment that I actually relish the difference between my 993 and my '84. The 993 is so much more comfortable on long drives. And, as you note, has working A/C. But for quick blasts and sheer speed, the 3.4 in the Targa is tops.

As to Pelican, I stay out of that cyclone unless I find lots of extra time.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:35 AM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Congrats Paul! Glad to see a Porsche back in your avatar too!

Your 'old' car is running great.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:12 AM
rosco28
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story!!

I brought my car to sunny Israel, and not being a masochist I decided that cold AC was an absolute necessity. After lots of research, i went with a Griffiths system, and added 3 extra vents. In short, it's excellent, my AC blows cold all the time!!! However, when sitting in lots of traffic, the AC can be a drain on the battery, otherwise i've had no problems to date (going on 3 years)

http://www.griffiths.com/shop/index....index&cPath=15
Old 11-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Blue TTop
Congrats Paul! Glad to see a Porsche back in your avatar too!

Your 'old' car is running great.

Looking good! I always thought that car looked great from the rear.

Originally Posted by rosco28
Great story!!

I brought my car to sunny Israel, and not being a masochist I decided that cold AC was an absolute necessity. After lots of research, i went with a Griffiths system, and added 3 extra vents. In short, it's excellent, my AC blows cold all the time!!! However, when sitting in lots of traffic, the AC can be a drain on the battery, otherwise i've had no problems to date (going on 3 years)

http://www.griffiths.com/shop/index....index&cPath=15
Thanks for the input. I need a new compressor so that's a good excuse to upgrade!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:10 AM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you buy Griffith's multi condensor system, you will have staggeringly cold AC. It's expensive but it works.

He posts here in the forum now and again.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Uber:

Thanks! Is it a DIY install? I see they have a kit for $1200. That's not too bad!

Paul.

Quick Reply: I'm back! '83 Coupe...