Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

MIrror placement

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 02:38 AM
New owner
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face MIrror placement

I am updating my mirrors on a 1970 to the later 80's model type. (These require 3 holes drilled and are paintable)

I need to know how far from the top and front of the doors to place the mirrors. Someone told me that the passenger and driver doors may be different?
Old 08-22-2002, 12:35 PM
Rick C
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not near the car until tonight, but the front to back position of the mirrors is different on my 87 so that the driver can see them through the quarter windows.
Old 08-22-2002, 04:58 PM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just checked my '88 Carrera for you, and the left and right sides are very different. These measurements are from the REAR edge of the door, back by the door handle, because the front edge has too many changing contours to get an accurate measurement.

Left (driver's) side: mirror sits more forward. Back edge of the mirror base is 36 3/8" forward of the rear door edge. The top of the mirror base is about 3/16" from the top edge of the door (distance varies because the base and the door both have a curve in them).

Right (passenger's) side: mirror sits farther back, almost lined up with the 1/4 window. Back edge of the mirror base is 32" forward of the rear door edge. The top of the mirror base is still about 3/16" from the top edge of the door.

Quick Reply: MIrror placement