Cool Collar from Pelican parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 06:48 PM
JamesR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cool Collar from Pelican parts

Does anyone know anything about this slip on over
the oil filter product called Cool Collar?
Pelican parts claim a 10% decrease in oil temp.
To good to be true?

James R
Old 08-21-2002, 07:07 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There have been several posts about this in the past. Check out <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000339" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=000339</a> for some more info.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:38 PM
LoudC4
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mate... I'd suggest you search the technical articles on the Pelican Board. I think you'll find some interesting and sometimes humouress posts by people who have and have not used the cooler collar.

Overall I think you can say it willreduce the temps marginally - sort of depends how much your chasing. A few degrees - ok, more and you might be optimistic.

Cheers
Mark
Old 08-26-2002, 09:26 PM
nylart
Track Day

James,

I have an '84 911 with the cool collar installed. Its hard to tell exactly but I would say its reducing my oil temp by 7 degrees. Definitely not more than that. Depending on how much you're looking for that's a fair value for $40.

Art
Old 08-28-2002, 10:42 PM
Targa Dude
7th Gear

Cool

By it's self the "Cool Collar" does work I did some testing and found it to perform as stated.
I went a step further and incorporated a 12v Fan housing assembly that draws air past the fins,
The heated air is then blown outside via ducting.
with this set up I achieved 10 deg cooler temps.
Jorge (Targa Dude)

<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/CoolFan3.jpg" target="_blank">http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/CoolFan3.jpg</a>
Old 08-31-2002, 11:33 AM
AD7TCAR
Intermediate

10%? No way. That would be 20 or more degrees. I have one, and I can't tell any significant difference. Maybe a few degrees. If you are thinking of buying one to make a noticeable difference, put your money on a front oil cooler fan or a lower temp switch to activate it. (Around $20 from Pelican.)
JMHO
Tim
Old 09-04-2002, 01:16 AM
druck
Former Vendor

I can just see Norbert Singer reading these claims of 10% reduction in oil temp from finning the oil filter and laughing hysterically, but the one about a fan running air over it would certainly have him rolling on the floor. If anything the fins would have to be welded to the can body. How about packing ice around it?
LOL.
druck.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:06 PM
Wil Ferch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh...guys?:
-exactly where did we come up with 10% reduction..I believe the previous poster stated 10degF reduction. BTW..how could you even talk of % reduction, with all the different temp scales in-use. Must use degK ( Kelvin), then, since it indexes against "absolute zero"...( Engineers in this audience would likely know).
-Also..what ( in principle) is so laughable about forcing air over finned surfaces that are clamped-on? It's a valid technical way to work...many industrial heat exchangers are built on this finned-tube principle. Maybe you were thinking of the rejected heat being ingested into the engine, but the lister said he vented this to the outside ( BTW...how exactly?).
---Wil Ferch
Old 09-05-2002, 03:23 PM
Targa Dude
7th Gear

Hi Wil, If you look at my previous post.. There is a link that shows the configuration.

Jorge (Targa Dude)
Old 09-05-2002, 04:04 PM
pbs911
Instructor

I can't substantiate the claims of % drop in oil temps, but in my experiece it did drop the temp somewhat. Like the early brass oil cooler, the cool collar works as a heat sink and disapates heat by spreading it over a larger surface. Face it the oil filter is not ideal for heat disapation. BA recognized the efficiency of the brass oil cooler even without air flow, saying it would benfit US cars which are diven in conditions were lots of air flow is not present.
Has anyone ever placed their hand around a oil filter and an oil filter with the cool collar when the engine is at opperating temps? I have and the temp is significantly increased with the cool collar. The question is then, is the cool collar disapating heat or retaining heat?
Old 09-05-2002, 10:09 PM
druck
Former Vendor

Wil,
Please knock some sense into these guys. I have tears running down my eyes and can't see the key board. I think the pic of the ducting in the engine bay did it. I sent it to Alwin.
I think I'll try one in the bedroom.
Respectfully,
druck.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:55 AM
Erakad
6th Gear

Don't know how interested you are in the cool collar, but it's 12 bucks cheaper at jc whitney.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:40 PM
Wil Ferch
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Targa dude ( and others):
I've seen the link, and all i see is a high-contrast photo, with the snorkel disappearing into the abyss. Let me guess how it's configured:
The snorkel is an extension of the combustion air intake (?). ...to separate it from the heat rejected by the cool-collar fins? If so, the heat rejected from the fins will still find its way through the cooling fan..and somewhat warmer air will "cool" the cylinder fins. Hmmmm?
Or is the snorkel somehow getting flowing air past the cool-collar fins..and then "out" of the engine conpartment somehow?
Help me to visualize what's happening...
--Wil Ferch
Old 09-13-2002, 05:43 PM
Targa Dude
7th Gear

Hi Will, Basically I constructed a perferated Plennum around the cool collar that is attached to a fan housing that is ducted to the outside via
a fan heater hose. The fan is 12V/150 CFM which seems to provide adiquate air flow over the fins.
this design draws air from the engine compartment and expels it outside.

Here is a pic of the proto-type I built.

<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/CoolFan.jpg" target="_blank">http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/CoolFan.jpg</a>

Jorge (Targa Dude)
Old 09-18-2002, 03:32 PM
dhoward
7th Gear

Ummm....
New here, but increasing the surface area by adding fins or whatever means, can't NOT transfer heat. Adding a thermal grease or paste between the can and fins would increase the tranfer efficiency. Increasing airflow is another plus.
While you're on the floor rolling around, pull the heatsink off of your CPU and see how long it takes before you can't post anymore.
Same principle.

Quick Reply: Cool Collar from Pelican parts