Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Whine at speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 PM
AirCoolBill
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whine at speed

I have developed a whine in my 87 Carerra which seems to come from the left rear of the car. I only hear it when driving above 35-40 mph and it stops when slowing below that speed. Engine speed has no effect, putting the clutch in does not effect it. It sounds like it pulsates when driving at constant speed.

Any thoughs where to look? The car has approximately 75k miles.

Bill
Old 10-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Tire would be first suspect; change rear tires side to side and see if the noise follows. Next would be a wheel bearing, which often changes sounds with steering load. After that, you may need to investigate transmission issues. GL
Old 10-21-2011, 05:54 PM
AirCoolBill
Intermediate

An underbody inspection revealed a torn outer boot on the driver's side half shaft. The torn surface of the boot is very clean indicating it may have been rubbing and causing the noise. However I can't be sure water did not get into the half shaft and the joint is causing the noise. The noise started after driving a cold car approximately 20 miles in the morning.

Any recomendations on inspection and service of the half shaft?

Bill
Old 10-21-2011, 06:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by AirCoolBill
I have developed a whine in my 87 Carerra which seems to come from the left rear of the car. I only hear it when driving above 35-40 mph and it stops when slowing below that speed. Engine speed has no effect, putting the clutch in does not effect it. It sounds like it pulsates when driving at constant speed.

Any thoughs where to look? The car has approximately 75k miles.

Bill
Where does your wife sit ?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:31 PM
AirCoolBill
Intermediate

Ha! I must admit that over 40+ years and numerous sports cars, restorations, car clubs and shows I have never heard that whine! No I am not single.

Bill
Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 PM
KILRWAIL
Instructor

Originally Posted by AirCoolBill
Any recomendations on inspection and service of the half shaft?
Inspect all four, buy replacements and lots of shop towels and molybdenum grease. It's a great DIY - about 2 hours per axle. Clean and repack all of them while you're at it. Have fun!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Personally, I'd buy new 1/2 shafts and replace. I've built every bit of my car, including the motor, and excepting the trans. I've never felt inclined to rebuild CV's. Do both sides, and you'll probably be good "forever".
Old 10-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never had a bad CV joint whine. They typically clunk, make a wobbly rattle, or exhibit odd vibrations in the drive line under power, like a low frequency hum/shudder. Tires whine, wheel bearings whine, and wheel bearings also typically whine louder if you are loading them in a turn. CV joints are only bad if there is wear in the ball grooves, and or pitting. They tend to run in the same place in the grooves most of the time, so there will be a good chance of wear in one spot. Not worth rebuilding if the tracks aren't perfect, unless it is an old Honda, and you only have enough money for a boot kit and a six pack.

Anyone ever hear a CV joint whine ? I would be interested if you have. The OP may have multiple issues.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:05 AM
AirCoolBill
Intermediate

Anyone have any experience with the VertexAuto rebuilt axels? I found one post recommending them.

Bill
Old 10-22-2011, 11:13 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Have you lifted the car and spun the wheel? Often a bad bearing can be heard, or felt, that way.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:15 PM
AirCoolBill
Intermediate

I did and did not detect any issue in the bearing. I will get the car on my lift in a couple days, I have to get another car off the lift first, and I will be able to get close to the bearing and better assess it.

Bill
Old 11-02-2011, 05:34 PM
AirCoolBill
Intermediate

I posted an update under Whine at speed part 2. Bottom line is the wheel bearing was bad.

Bill

Quick Reply: Whine at speed