Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking for tasteful HP/powerband upgrades on '87 3.2...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 06:35 PM
charleedog
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for tasteful HP/powerband upgrades on '87 3.2...

Hey guys

Here's what I just picked up 2 days ago in Vancouver:

1987 3.2 G50 Guards Red with the tea-tray spoiler, genuine RUF rims, and a fresh top-end rebuild that was done only 10,000 kms ago.

A few of the upgrades are turbo brakes (front), steel braided lines, performance suspension components, etc. Engine/driveline is stock.

She's a beaut!! And surprisingly fast!!

I love the feel of the car. But what would make it the ultimate DD / "spirited country driving" Porsche is just a tad more on the low end (pre-4000 RPMs)

It seems like a lot of early 911 owners on RL, 6SpeedOnline, and elsewhere have the Steve Wong chip (911Chips.com)

I was thinking of getting the Chip and the Pre-Muffler from 911Chips.com. Seems like it would tighten up the low rev range while providing a bit more "bonus power" up top.

Looking for some opinions...

Is that the best, tasteful power upgrade for the money for a 3.2 (Chip + Euro Premuffler)?

Also - anyone using that $2700 Bosch MAF? (If so - is it worth it?)

Thanks guys

-Chris

PS Man this car rocks. It is actually more fun than my Stage 2 996TT. And I think it's right on par speedwise with my 968... but there's no comparison when it comes to feel/handling
Old 10-07-2011, 07:05 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

Steve Wong chip and MK premuffler along with a good dual out muffler and you'll be happy !!!
To get any more HP out of a stock 3.2 is a lot of $$$

Cheers !
Phil
Old 10-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't bother with the MAF.

The chip on the other hand.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:35 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by charleedog
Hey guys

Here's what I just picked up 2 days ago in Vancouver:

1987 3.2 G50 Guards Red with the tea-tray spoiler, genuine RUF rims, and a fresh top-end rebuild that was done only 10,000 kms ago.

A few of the upgrades are turbo brakes (front), steel braided lines, performance suspension components, etc. Engine/driveline is stock.

She's a beaut!! And surprisingly fast!!

I love the feel of the car. But what would make it the ultimate DD / "spirited country driving" Porsche is just a tad more on the low end (pre-4000 RPMs)

It seems like a lot of early 911 owners on RL, 6SpeedOnline, and elsewhere have the Steve Wong chip (911Chips.com)

I was thinking of getting the Chip and the Pre-Muffler from 911Chips.com. Seems like it would tighten up the low rev range while providing a bit more "bonus power" up top.

Looking for some opinions...

Is that the best, tasteful power upgrade for the money for a 3.2 (Chip + Euro Premuffler)?

Also - anyone using that $2700 Bosch MAF? (If so - is it worth it?)

Thanks guys

-Chris

PS Man this car rocks. It is actually more fun than my Stage 2 996TT. And I think it's right on par speedwise with my 968... but there's no comparison when it comes to feel/handling
I love the word "powerband", but I think one needs to truly experiance a powerband on a two stroke motocross bike to truly understand the meaning. That is the personification of a "powerband"! Are you from that school? I rode motorcross bikes from 12 yrs old!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:43 PM
charleedog
Intermediate

Sarge,

I know well the meaning of "powerband", had a CR125 bored out to 153 and rode it as well as my friend's YZ250 all through my teen years.

The Honda would catwalk on demand in 5th

Memories!! :-)

-Chris
Old 10-07-2011, 08:47 PM
charleedog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Steve Wong chip and MK premuffler along with a good dual out muffler and you'll be happy !!!
To get any more HP out of a stock 3.2 is a lot of $$$

Cheers !
Phil
Awesome - that seems to be what my research is pointing towards

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Don't bother with the MAF.

The chip on the other hand.
Very good to know!

------------------

Thanks guys!

Old 10-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Steve has some good info on his site:

www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 10-07-2011, 09:13 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts

For what it's worth,Steve Wong has developped a newer AFM for 3.2 engines as well as a larger rebored throttle body ...
Not sure on the horsepower claims but nevertheless most likely a great product !

Cheers !
Phil
Old 10-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd stick with the chip and some exhaust mods. I'd also stick with Steve Wong as your chip source, and M&K for your exhaust. There's a lot of so-so stuff from well-known sources beyond that. Playing with your intake is going to offer diminishing returns on your money.

If you want to spend some serious money and pick up some more HP, PM me, I'll tell you what worked for me.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:56 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by charleedog
Sarge,

I know well the meaning of "powerband", had a CR125 bored out to 153 and rode it as well as my friend's YZ250 all through my teen years.

The Honda would catwalk on demand in 5th

Memories!! :-)

-Chris
Ah yes, that was the day! I was a big fan of the CR as well as the YZ. Never was an RM guy, they were more top end powerband screamers w/ a weak bottom and mid.You talking 80s? I remember in 85' the YZs went from Yellow/Blk to the Euro White / Red. Of course I bought a new one at that time, had to have it!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Ah yes, that was the day! I was a big fan of the CR as well as the YZ. Never was an RM guy, they were more top end powerband screamers w/ a weak bottom and mid.You talking 80s? I remember in 85' the YZs went from Yellow/Blk to the Euro White / Red. Of course I bought a new one at that time, had to have it!
I could kick some serious sand on your delusions that the YZ was even a in the same league as the RM. The explosive and high power band wasn't for the weak, but in my capable hands nobody could come out of a corner like me and my RM. The YZ on the other hand vibrated so violently between the legs of the rider that the only pleasure had was sexual in nature. Poor kids needed therapy after what I did to them on the track You think I'm kidding?
Old 10-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I recall my SC500 from the late 70's...a beast! New rings every other ride, clutch R&R every 5 or so. Gobs of tq for a 2 stroke.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

Has anyone ever screwed up installing a SW chip? I'm seriously thinking of it and it looks like a fairly simple process but I'm all thumbs...Murphy's Law applies to me.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:53 PM
charleedog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Definitely - my CR was '88 and believe it or not my friend's YZ was from the late 70's.

The YZ didn't have the suspension technology of the later bikes, but man could it haul ***! And something about the lower ride height made it the ultimate sand dune machine.

My bike was just insane. No other way to describe it :-)

To clarify though, I wasn't riding in the 80's. I was only born in 84. This would've been between 1998 - 2001

Anyway I know this is OT but at least for me it's very nostalgic!

Cheers

-Chris
Old 10-08-2011, 04:00 PM
charleedog
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I'd stick with the chip and some exhaust mods. I'd also stick with Steve Wong as your chip source, and M&K for your exhaust. There's a lot of so-so stuff from well-known sources beyond that. Playing with your intake is going to offer diminishing returns on your money.

If you want to spend some serious money and pick up some more HP, PM me, I'll tell you what worked for me.
Thanks for the input Ed, that is the direction I'm gonna go I think.

And in the future, I may be dropping a PM in your direction... although for now I have my hands full with high HP activites: re-tuning the 996TT (ugh..) and building up a dedicated track car...

(Don't laugh, but the track car is based on a 240SX SE chassis. 300 RWHP. Curb Weight: 2350 Lbs. It's no Porsche but since I'm not yet at a stage where I can use $100 bills for toilet paper, it makes track mishaps a lot more affordable )

Cheers - and thanks again everyone for the opinions on SW chips / MK exhaust, I'll be ordering those shortly

(And posting pictures!)

-Chris

Quick Reply: Looking for tasteful HP/powerband upgrades on '87 3.2...