Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Supersport Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 10:11 AM
Nimbus
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Supersport Mystery

Can anyone help me uncover the identity of this car.

Im looking to buy a car advertised as a C-Reg 1986 Supersport (black).

The Vin number is WPO ZZZ 91ZGS102142

Both body and Engine no's match the car - with the body tag on the inner left wall of the boot (front) looking ok (but easily replaceable). Firstly I would like to ask if the stamped VIN number on the body should be under the carpet at the front edge of the crossmember running across the rear half of the boot. My haynes manual points to the left side and not the centre as though the vin should be reading along the cars lenght and not across its width (if you know what I mean).

Secondly I have been told that the supersport is option M491. and the options are on the owner history handbook (on a stuck on label) - the handbook with this car is handwritten on the first page and this says Supersport rather than any coded option.

Finally - the cars V5 says 3299cc and not 3159?ish (3.2) - the engine appears to be the origonal and is definately a 3.2 unit and not a turbo unit.

And last (finally again) - the car has had some accident damage back in 1990 which looks to have been repaired years ago. The structure is sound and I couldnt see any evidence. though the B/C posts (the door shut faces off the rear wing) Did have some rust bubbles (med but patchable).

Everyone says run a mile, but I am interested simply because the car has had a lot of money spent on it body wise with a C2 Turbo kit and looks excellent (which I no is no basis to buy on) - But it has also had 3 or 3 longer term owners since the 1990 accident, both traded and financed and I am really asking is it likely that the car would be any comeback from a really old accident history.

Any help / oppinions -

p.s. most important is for me to know if it is an origonal supersport from its VIN number as body and mechanically (Bg turbo brakes etc) it seems to be.
Old 09-09-2001, 12:08 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
First off I am unaware of any model called a "supersport". The special cars are usually "clubsport", "rennsport" (RS),or cup cars. The clubsport option is M637 which was a lightweight reduced option car but still with the 3.2 Motor but these cars were made in 87 to 89, M491 is the turbo look option. According to the red book the car you have is a G program 1986 carrera coupe with a 3,164 cc (3.2) liter motor. You would need to get the option codes to verify for sure, but factory turbo looks will not have welded seams under the rear quarter panel, most kits will. A turbo look is a uncommon car but not rare. I think I agree with your buds. I would pass unless it was real cheap and you could verify the M option code.
Old 09-09-2001, 11:51 AM
Nimbus
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Hi -
Thanks for the feedback.
Supersport is what the non-turbo turbo-bodied cars (M491) are commonly knows as in the UK. Thanks for the info on the seams.
The car has full turbo suspension which is usually uncommon in made-up cars so Its pointing towards it being an M491 option car.

I'll check the seam work out.

Quick Reply: Supersport Mystery