Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 L Valve guide wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2001, 02:36 PM
adam...
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3.2 L Valve guide wear

Is there an "upgrade" valve/guide for the 3.2L heads? I keep reading that they tend to wear out at about 100K miles. If I had a valve job with new guides and valves should I expect to have to do it again in another 100K miles or are there improved parts available?

Thanks,
Adam
Old 06-30-2001, 10:24 PM
Dial 911
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bruce Anderson (or some other "expert") has speculated on why some 3.2's eat their guides.
If I remember what I read, it had much to do with lean mixtures (Motronic) and resultant hot running motors. They also noticed motors from cars who ran in hot climates had a greater incidence of wear.
Old 06-30-2001, 10:45 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought it was the fact that they can run rich and the excess fuel removes the lubrication from the intake valves.
Old 07-01-2001, 03:55 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think it's really that unreasonable for a car to need to have it's valve guides replaced at 100K miles. I had an '85 Toyota MR2 that needed it done at 97K miles, and I got rid of a Stealth RT/TT with 78K on it that was showing signs of beginning to need the work done (if I had to guess, I would estimate it would need to be done at about 100K miles for that car). Both of these are the "superior" Japanese cars. The valve guide problem on 3.2s may very well belong in the same class as the 964 cylinder leaking problem...it happens to a tiny percent and then all cars of each model get strapped with a bad reputation because of it.

What IS abnormal is the SC engine. I know of few other cars that have engines with that type of reliability, FWIW.

From what I've read there is no upgrade or improvement available for the valves.

Hope this helps,

Bill Wagner
Old 07-01-2001, 03:23 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phosphorus/bronze guides have shown to last the longest, along with the old style white teflon stem seals. the consensus is the brown viton seals were too good and didn't allow enough oil past to help lube the guide and valve stem, so both guide and stem wore out together, causing sideways movement of the stem which took out the seal, allowing oil use down the guides and eventually, fouled plugs. some cars used a quart in 300 miles. that's 10 qts in an oil change interval. if you don't pay attention to the oil level, the rod bearings spin and it's over.

Quick Reply: 3.2 L Valve guide wear