Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thirty-something and have a 911?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 02:43 PM
Groovy911SC
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a 38 year old VP of a software company and have finally found a few extra dollars to spend on toys. Last year I bought my first Porsche, a 1977 911S. I used that car in DE events at No Problem Raceway in Donaldsonville, La. What a huge rush it is to learn to DRIVE your car at limit. I've since sold the 77 911S and upgraded to an 80 911SC. The rear engined air cooled 911 is one of the most exciting cars to drive in the world! The only other car I would consider having for track purposes is a 944 Turbo - killer speed with great balance!! Having learned to drive my 911 has helped me appreciate the quirky nature of the 911 even more. The 944 was easier to get to grips with on the track. The 911, for me was so much more rewarding!!!

-------------------------------------------------
The Track bug bit hard!
Old 05-31-2003, 09:39 PM
Ian Faass
Track Day

Good question. I am a 30 year old sales engineer to the automotive OEM industry. I sell mechanical steering parts by the gazillions. Married, three kids, house, etc... cars are my bad habit.

Bought my first one (67 mustang coupe) with hard earned cash at age fourteen, even though I couldn't drive it past the driveway for two years. Since then, I have owned 21 cars, and loved everyone of them.

First Porsche was a two owner 1983 944 with records back to the first oil change. I loved her for two years when I decided to by a 911 for the track. Had them both for a year or so, and decided to pour more money into the 911. Got bored while I rebuilt the 911, so I bought a Miata for the weekends. Still miss the 944, and consider buying another one, but I have 5 cars now, and my wife is already unhappy with me having two garage queens with her grocery getter in the drive.

I LOVE cars, and Porsches are by far the most satisfying. Enjoy your BMW for now, and look forward to the Porsche. Welcome to the gang....

Ian Faass
2Faasst Racing
1983 911SC Euro track
1995 Miata mild street
2001 E150 Traveler
2002 Buick Regal GS (have to get to work somehow)
2003 Honda Odyssey
Old 06-01-2003, 02:03 PM
aap
Advanced

I got a bit of advice on the 993 board a couple of weeks ago which I have been applying to just about everything I've done since. I was crying about the rain and that I couldn't drive my car because it had been raining for the past week. A guy wrote this: Drive the car, remember,
"...This aint no dress rehersal...". The next day I was walking up Madison Ave in NYC and debris from the roof of a 50 story building missed me by 3 feet. Dude, Buy the car you want, it will be more than you want to pay, but buy it. I am 30 now and bought my 98 993s last year. I am in sales. Good Luck.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Chad M 11
Advanced

I am 28 and a Sales & Marketing Director. Married to the perfect wife and we have a Doberman puppy but no kids yet. I fall into the "everybody has an E36 category" and my wife has an E46. We bought both BMW's used for good deals after someone else took the lose. I always wanted a Porsche and my wife is a car nut as well so I bought our 1975 911s 6 months ago. The restoration is proving to be over my head so I am being careful not to do anything yet that would make the car unworthy of resale.

All of the cars above plus a nice house (and the dog) were purchased in the last year. We also travel abroad a few times a year. I am ambitious and the career is going great so why not? The only down side is the stress that comes along with living at the edge of your means. As long as a little still rolls into savings why not enjoy your youth, it's no dress rehearsal as stated in the post above.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:09 PM
smoak
Intermediate

I am 33 and an attorney. I have been a p-car fan since I went for my first ride at 12 with the neighbor down the street. I used to wash his car for free just to ride in it. I just purchased my first p-car before the kids come etc. Unlike all these guys who have resources to buy their depreciating assets with cash (whatever), I allowed the credit union to help me "waste" my money on interest and I couldn't be happier. Sure I will have spent an extra 5700 for the car by the end, but over 48 months, they can have the 110 a month and I will have that car I have been dreaming of since 12. After all, I wanted to stop coveting everyone elses p-cars since the good book tells me "Let your conduct be without covetousness, and be content with such things as you have" (Heb. 13:5). Man I love my car and am no longer coveting others.
Old 06-04-2003, 09:02 AM
LTan
Track Day

Well, I wished I could have been a Pcar owner at 30 something, then my profile would have been like Alfred Tan above! I am 47, Asia Pacific service mgr for high tech co. Bought my 85 Carrera Targa 3 years ago. Like old cars - still with Jag 3.8 MkII, and recently sold restored 74 Alfa Spider (best fun for $). Wife drives Mitsubishi Pajero/Shogun/Montero, and I use for short cuts up the mountains. Had a Harley, but that was being silly.

For those who are still hesistating out there on getting a Porsche - don't wait. It is not even that expensive. My Porsche has cost me less over 3 years than some of my other new cars, as it depreciates less (at least a secondhand one). It makes you feel great, has almost as high a "grin factor" as my Spider, and a pretty good WAF (wife acceptance factor), and I can still pick the 2 kids up from school.

You guys in US don't know how lucky you are. My car with 100K miles costed me about $30K US, so I waited 10 years to to take the plunge. Now itch is starting again for something else interesting, but will always have a Porsche. 993Cab, or 73RS...?

Leong Tan
85 Carrera Targa (Meteor Gray)
Old 06-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Adamred1908SC
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm 31 bought my SC last summer right before my birthday, in fact drove it 1000 miles home on my b-day. Two kids and a mortgage, paid cash, I work in the pharmaceutical business in marketing on the agency side.

Couldn't take the boring family movers any more and just had to buy my dream. Helps to have an understanding spouse!

Adam
Old 06-08-2003, 06:29 PM
Matt Chamblin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
28 year old fireman, 2 Porsches ( my only real vices), a wife, a house payment, and 2 cats.

Cars are my hobbies, and where I live, real estate is cheap, very cheap. That's how I can affoard my cars.

And Paul, don't even think about the crusher!
Old 06-08-2003, 10:44 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Just one now (88 Club Sport) but have had numerous P-Cars. Bought my first one when I was 28 and now I am almost 35. I am averaging almost 1/year over the past 6 years. Plan on holding onto the CS and getting a 993 TT in the near future.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:11 PM
Zandramus
Racer

38 years old and just purchased my first porsche this year. I had always wanted a 911 but was always curious about the look of the 928. I flew to Texas to take ownership of my new toy and then drove the car home some 2000 miles. I must say that I have never driven anything like it, it spoils you, once you get in another vehicle after driving the 928 you realise what a quality car this is. As for thos who dont think it is a sports car you are incorrect. The 928 is an Exotic car, I see 911's and 996's and Boxters all day long on the highway. If you see a speed yellow 928 in Ohio its me. there arent any others. these cars were all hand built and only roughly 2000 imported each year during their production run. my car had a sticker of 40 k on it in 1982, it was mor than the 82 911sc and is faster at a top speed of 143 mph.

for those who havent tried a 928 I say try one, but then again thos who keep saying the car is a maintenence problem are the ones keeping the market low on the car so I can buy some more of them. I plan on owning 1 of each version the s, s4, gt, and gts.

cheers
Old 06-09-2003, 01:28 PM
Tmack
Rennlist Member

Anticipating life and turning 47 I bought my first 911 last in 4/02. I've wanted one since I was 16. Wish I had done it sooner. I was just listening to the voice of practicality. Here is the NE its hard to find a good 911 for cheap. Everyone I called on was sold by the time I saw the add. Forget about trying to get a PPI. So I let it find me. From the time I saw it I new it was going to be a project and I knew nothing about 911s except it was my dream car. My mechanic calls it the Odyssey but I love it. Not original by any means. Its a 74 targa to widebody cabrio conversion with a 77 engine. Over the past year I have learned a lot and dropped some cash but the end result was worth it.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:01 AM
jim912928
Racer

Zandrumus.....welcome to the 928 club!...Own an 83 and it is the best car I've ever owned!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:53 AM
Zandramus
Racer

My Brother has an 83 now and he loves the car... he got a great deal on his as well
Old 06-11-2003, 01:57 AM
951Badger
Racer

Wow, this is one of the most enjoyable threads I've read here on Rennlist. I should visit you 911 folks more often!

Looks like I'm the lone voice for 944 Turbo owners though. I have a 1988 944 Turbo 'S' (long story behind this car!). I purchased it a year ago with only 38,000 miles on the clock and in PERFECT condition. You can see it in my signature.

I chose this car carefully because of a few things. Mainly the handling (I'm not an experienced driver and a 911 could get me into trouble if I'm not careful), and the quality of car I could get for what I spent.

My ultimate goal is a 928 GTS and a 993 in the garage. I would be a VERY happy man then! My wife...not so much!

I'm 33 and work as a Litigation Consultant in the Legal Industry. I've owned two Porsche before this one...a 1985 928S (Euro) and an '87 951. My wife has a Black 2000 BMW 323i which is nice but is no Porsche.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:41 PM
96conv
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Just bought my first Porsche. She's a '79 SC Targa with 125K miles. Looks and drives like she's (almost) brand new. She's not for racing, just my weekend ride. I get lots of looks and questions about this car but I think my '96 328i convertible gets more. I bought both cars within 2 months of each other but my 911 is my baby. I'm lucky to have an understanding wife that knows her fella must have his toys. I'm 39 and in medical device sales.

Quick Reply: Thirty-something and have a 911?