Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oil thermostat removal help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 02:37 AM
snakepitt1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Post oil thermostat removal help

Although this seems like a very straight forward remove and replace. I can not get my oil thermostat out. I have tried prying it out with no success. Should it be in so tight that two screwdrivers will not budge it? That o-ring must creat quite a seal.
Any help?

Thanks,
Scott Harris
Rennlist member 030531-3417
1973-911T Targa 2.4L MFI
Old 05-24-2003, 04:44 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Scott:

Yessir, these can be a bugger to remove.

The housing accumulates a crust-film of carbonized oil below that hardend up and swollen O-ring and they can be a challenge. Further, these are a rather tight fit in their bore and one simply must exercise patience,.....

In some cases, I resorted to using a can of Freeze Spray on the aluminum thermostat housing to get it to shrnick a little bit.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:20 AM
snakepitt1
Racer

Are there any special tools available to aid in the removal of this stuck thermostat? Also where can I get a can of that freeze stuff? Another couple of hours trying to get it out and I'm gonna drill into it and use a gear puller or some C4 if I can buy some on the black market. I just worry about causing oil leaks by forcing it out.

Thanks,
Scott Harris
Old 05-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Scott:

Having used plenty of C4 in the military many years ago, I can attest to its effectiveness, however as they say: "It will likely kill the patient",....

No special tools, just brainpower,...patience...and...perseverance! These are the main "tools" for doing anything.

The freeze spray is something used in the electronics industry for troubleshooting circuits and components, Radio Shack might have it.

If you drill into it, you really run the risk of putting metal shavings into the oiling system; A very bad thing. That would require a total and complete teardown.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:45 AM
snakepitt1
Racer

I worked on removing the thermostat for 8 straight hours and aside from breaking 3 screwdrivers, 2 small pry bars and nearly snapping the oil pressure sender off, it would not come out. I am now open to ANY and ALL suggestions as to how to remove this part. It has to come out as it is not opening. The temp gage hits 250 in less than 20 minutes of driving in 75 degree weather, oil pressure drops as temps get HOT too.

Scott Harris
Old 06-14-2003, 02:15 PM
MRFLATSIX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try spraying PB BLASTER around it and let it sit overnight. This stuff is great for stuck studs and bolts. It penetrates very well and attacks corrosion, rust and varnish. I've been pretty successful with it. I would use that and then use the freeze spray on the thermostat. You can get PB BLASTER at Pep Boys for about $3. Good luck

Quick Reply: oil thermostat removal help