Largest Possible Battery 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2001, 06:47 PM
Fassi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Largest Possible Battery 3.2

Hello,

I recently replaced by alternator/regulator with a rebuilt unit from Vertex Auto, solving the power surge problem I was experiencing. Unfortunately, all the jumpstarts, deep discharges, and undercharging have critically weakened by battery, resulting in dim headlights and strain on the rebuilt alternator. I would like to get a more robust battery, if possible, and I was wondering what the largest possible size would be for my car without doing any modifications. Also, what brand is the most powerful and does anyone have any experience with the Kirkland Signature Batteries sold at Costco. Thank you all in advance.
Old 12-24-2001, 12:32 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

interstate MTP-93 is the battery for you. kirkland is the store brand at costco. if it's anything like the kirkland tires, i wouldn't count on it for performance.
Old 12-24-2001, 12:45 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Fas,

I've got a huge Interstate battery in my Carrera and they do last quite a while. These batteries are also a pain in the *** to get in and out of the car.

I would seriously recommend that you get one of the new Optima "no maintenance" batteries. They are sealed so no leaking of acid, and they are lighter and easy to get into and out of your Porsche. You may need an adapter to make sure that the battery is properly secured in the front of the car.

Check with Performance Products - I'm sure that there are many other suppliers too.

Merry Christmas!

Richard
'87 Carrera 3.6L
Old 12-24-2001, 01:26 PM
87slant-nose-cabriolet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actung!
whenever your cars battery goes down, don,t
depend upon the alternator to recharge it!
if its at home put your battery charger on it
and don,t drive it until the battery is "drawing" less than 2-3amps on your battery charger meter. i would rather replace the battery charger than the alternator.
merry christmas
keith epperly
Old 12-25-2001, 07:07 PM
john walkers workshop
Racer

the big interstates remove and replace easily if you know how. the positive end is pulled up and tipped toward the gas tank to clear the wire loom. install in reverse order.
Old 12-26-2001, 01:03 AM
Fassi
Advanced

Thanks for all the advice so far. I took a look at the Optima web site and it looks interesting. Does anyone have the Optima Red Top in their car, can it be installed without an adaptor, and is this a good choice based on your experience with it? Thanks again.
Old 12-27-2001, 04:48 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
John Walker's Workshop,

Now let's see, I changed my first battery at about age 14 or 15, over the next 37 years I guess I've swapped a couple of dozen batteries in everything from an Audi to a Z-car; including at least three of those big-assed batteries in my '87 911.

Keeping in mind that this isn't exactly brain surgery we're debating here, and with all due respect to your superior expertise, IMHO removing and replacing those big interstate batteries in the lower front of a Carrera is still a pain in the *** (or, more accurately, your lower back, which anatomically speaking is close enough to qualify as a pain in the *** to me)!

Richard
'87 Carrera 3.6L

Quick Reply: Largest Possible Battery 3.2