Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Who designed 911 climate controls?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2001, 05:06 PM
Chris Blum
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Who designed 911 climate controls?

Talk about clearly intuitive and well laid out...they don't come much better than the 911.
And what the hell are those levers between the seats??

I feel like a monkey in some lab experiment whenever I am trying to figure out how to work the climate controls. Do I get a banana if I finally succeed in cooling off the cockpit?
Old 09-06-2001, 05:24 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

I figured out the basics, there is a winter setting and a rest of year setting. Other than that the sunroof and windows do a decent job.

Chris
81 SC
Old 09-06-2001, 08:25 PM
Tom Sharpes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder worked as independent environmental controls contractors for Porsche.
Old 09-06-2001, 08:29 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Smile

Chris - you make me laugh. The 911 climate control is perhaps the worst design I have ever seen. I have owned 2 80s model 911s and still can't figure it out. If you want to have some real fun, try reading the manual. I do know those levers between the seat are for the floor heaters. Each person has his own control - very early attempt at dual climate zones. The dropped this in the 993. I actually liked that part - the rest of it I just ignored, lest I get in an accident trying to grab the right lever.
Old 09-06-2001, 08:32 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Actually, the 964 has a 'normal' HVAC system without the levers of previous 911's.
Old 09-06-2001, 11:35 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It took me a while but I figured out "MOST" of the climate controls on my 89. The red "EJECTION" levers between the seats are both floor heater and defrost windshield. The dial just above and between the red levers is the warp drive for that system. The stuff in front of the shifter right below the ashtray is the A/C temp and fan speed. The stuff above the ashtray is directional for both systems (I Believe) but it doesn't seem to be very effective which is probably why people get confused. You just aren't sure what something does if it doesn't do anything when you fiddle with it.
Hope this helps.

C
Old 09-06-2001, 11:58 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't know what everyone is complaining about, without cryptic controls & instructions ANYBODY could operate a 911 - driving the used market sky high, completely beyond our reach.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:33 AM
Cali_Jeff
6th Gear

The levers between the seats were the best part, the rest of the HVAC could be junked and redesigned. In winter time while driving I can dangle my arm down and make very minor tweaks to the settings until I've got it set perfectly. No flagrant arm movements twards the dash required.

It makes me feel like I'm adjusting the thrusters on a fighter jet

Cheers,
jeff
Old 09-07-2001, 03:54 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, confusing at first, but quite simple actually. The levers between the seats are what controls how much hot air comes into the car. If it has a dial, it controls the speed of that heated air. The bottom (red) lever at the dash is for where you want that hot air, at your feet with the lever at left and to the windshield with the lever to the right. The top lever is for outside air and its speed. The middle is for where you want that outside air. Left for floor and right for windshield. Of course the outside air will mix up with the heated air if desired. Where I disagree with instructions is where it says "for max defrost move upper levers left, lower lever right. I have found that to get the best defrost in rain, I move all levers right with the levers between the seats all the way up. The result of that is full speed on fresh outside air being mixed with full heated air. Works like a charm. The ac controls are completely independent of the others even though the little outer dash vents can be shard with heated and fresh air. My buddy just had the ac ducting to the outer vents on his 930 turbo s rerouted to the center dash vents, and is raving about it. I have to check it out one of these days. I actually get a kick out the system working the little ***** since my 911 is stripped with nothing in it, not even a radio. So I have nothing to play with unless I take out my sister's 3.2. Call me crazy, but I enjoy the full involvement a 911 requires. Even with its ventilation controls.
Old 09-07-2001, 07:32 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

After working out how the 964 system works I would have to say the designers of this system were Mickey, Donald and Goofey and all three had shares in a model car motor building company. These same designers work in aviation as well,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 09-07-2001, 08:02 AM
Michael Delaney
Racer

They were found behind the Alfa Romeo factory after being ejected for designing the headlight switch in the stalk on the steering column. Once after purchasing an old Alfa I was on the way home as the sun went down and had to pull over to the side of the hiway and read the owners manual to turn on the headlights. Now that's intuitive design! Roy Eames
Old 09-07-2001, 10:11 AM
Edward1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi
I haven't figured the climate control on my 1986 911 Targa as of yet which may be as well. I have had the A/C unit serviced with very little improvements in the performance. When it get hot here in Louisiana the A/C is almost useless, unless the climated control settings affect the output of the A/C, which I may not be setting correctly. Can anyone direct me to the best setting for max air? The only two controls I am sure of is the A/C level and blower speed, other than that ????

Lavergne
Old 09-07-2001, 10:39 AM
Randall G.
Addict
Rennlist Member

My old '66 was wonderfully simplistic:

-Push the lever between the seats either way to cut off (hopefully!) or admit more heat to the cabin.

-Adjust the sliders under each door to allow more or less heat to your feet. Do not touch the slider track after the car has been operating, or you will be scalded!

And that's it ... Of course, the wonderful window defogger did require an accessory for its effective operation--a hand-held rag.
Old 09-07-2001, 10:56 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ed's description of the ventilation system is right on the money.

Edward: I found the best way to get maximum air conditioning in my '86 Carrera was to insure that the fresh air vent and fresh air fan was off. These are the two levers at the top of the dash controls. Make sure both of these are all the way to the left as far as they will go. That keeps the warm, humid air out and the fresh air fan in the off position.

As you may already know, crank the temperature control on the A/C controls in the lower center console to max. The black and red levers in the dash controls don't affect A/C air flow.

Hope this helps a little,
Jay
90 964
Old 09-07-2001, 11:08 AM
Steve, 914 guy
Instructor

I don't think they were ever designed, but rather a mutation.
On a carrera, if you hear a squeaky fan noise, there are only 92 fans to listen to until you find the right one.

Quick Reply: Who designed 911 climate controls?