Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Who designed 911 climate controls?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 03:30 PM
Lush Daddy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To join in with this banter....what the hell is up with the fact that my dealership told me that my '89 Carrera has no fresh air vent?! How is this possible!? Even Yugo's have a fresh air vent!

He told me if I didn't want to turn the A/C on, and was hot....to roll the window down!

Could this possible be true?!

Somebody help me!

David
Old 09-07-2001, 04:17 PM
MarkY
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Lush Daddy:
<STRONG>To join in with this banter....what the hell is up with the fact that my dealership told me that my '89 Carrera has no fresh air vent?! How is this possible!? Even Yugo's have a fresh air vent!

He told me if I didn't want to turn the A/C on, and was hot....to roll the window down!

Could this possible be true?!

Somebody help me!

David</STRONG>
Your dealer is an idiot. You have a fresh air vent. Look in the owners manual. If you don't have one, I'm sure someone here will help you out. My car and manual is at home and since I don't use the fresh air vent real often, my memory doesn't recall the details.
Old 09-07-2001, 04:38 PM
KLehmann
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fresh air is controlled by the top lever next to the fan lever. All the way to the right is max. fresh air. The fresh air is directed by the middle lever. The fresh air comes thru the side vents (for example, near the headlight switch if you have the middle lever set to "upper").

The A/C air blows thru the center vents in the middle of the dash, but not from the defrost vents at the windshield (I think). I'm not sure of the A/C defrost vent ability. Mine's been removed.

The 928 guys have big grins on their faces right now.
Old 09-07-2001, 05:12 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

This has got to be the funniest thread I have ever read. It think it comes down to, Who cares how the heat works! I love driving the car so much that I dont usually notice I am cold or hot or whatever. The windshield fogging up is a pain, but I dont see to get stuck in the rain that much. Even then after a few minutes of cursing I always seem to get it almost clean. Napkins in the glove box seem to work just as well as the levers!

Chris
Old 09-10-2001, 11:21 PM
Eric '86 Targa
Intermediate

Let me see if I can give a clarification. First, you have to realize that the AC system in the Carrera is completely separate from the heat/fresh air system.

The AC controls are on the console in front of the shift. The left **** controls temperature and the right **** controls the fan speed. The AC ONLY blows out the vents in the front of the dash. I just had my AC converted to R134 ($150!) and love it. It doesn't make my car into an ice-box but it keeps me from getting a sweat-stripe diagonal across my chest from the seat belt.

The heat/fresh air controls are a little more bizzare. In the dash you have three rows of sliders. The top left slider controls the valve on the fresh air intake. The top right slider controls the fan speed drawing through the fresh air system. The middle slider controls the output of fresh air - all the way left is footwell and all the way right is windshield. The third row slider controls the output of the heating system - operating exactly like the fresh air system.

BUT! You have to use the red ejection levers to open the valves from the engine to provide heat. Since you are lucky enough to have a Carrera, you also have a **** on top that controls the fan speeds in the kick-panels so the heat actually makes it into the cabin. The heater, when set on full blast and footwell blowing literally cooks my toes when I wear Birkenstocks. The neat thing is you can feel the engine temp increase as you accelerate without looking at the gauges.

All that said, I have four settings I use:

1. AC on full when it's hot with everything else turned off.

2. AC on medium with fresh-air valve off but fresh air fan on blowing out the windshield. This actually defogs the window! You can use it with a combination of heat out the footwells on cold, foggy days.

3. Heat on in the footwells for cold, cold days.

4. Targa top off and everything turned off whenever possible.

Fortunately, I live in the Southeast and park in a garage so I don't have to deal with removing snow and ice from the windows. I do use my car as a daily driver and the HVAC is important to me. I love the #4 days, but frequently I'm stuck in #1 or #3. It's also not bad with the top out and the heat going. I usually keep a blanket in my car for female passengers (comes in handy when you stop too!).

-Eric
Old 09-11-2001, 01:01 AM
Dial 911
Instructor

It's apparent to anyone who has studied a bit of history, that many things on these cars are intended to punish us for winning the war!
Old 09-11-2001, 02:27 AM
Chris Campbell
Instructor

Serves you guys right for buying those newfangled luxury cruisers with A/C and all that nonsense!
Old 01-15-2002, 10:53 AM
JL
Intermediate

This is a great post-and as there seams to be alot of new 911 owners, I thought I would bump it up. I know it certainly helped me!!! I have a copy in my glovebox...

Jordan
Old 01-15-2002, 02:17 PM
Jgordon
Racer

I'm printing this thread out to keep in the car. Hopefully, unless you guys are all just drunk porsche engineers hoping for some laughs, this will finally help me figure out the climate controls. Until now, two things have marked my attempts to master my environment. First, when I turn on the heat, the seats heat up, and whoever's next to me thinks I have seat heaters. At which point I have to either open the windows or turn the heat off, mumbling some remark about "purity of driving, etc." Second, the levers in the middle of the dash -- I've been in the car in the rain twice, and both times I could have sworn the controls were some sadistic german joke. I played with them like a chimp, and when the windshield cleared, I just thanked the car and promised to wax it. I'm still suspicious of their serving any real purpose, but I'll give it a try.

My last car was a jeep. Point the wheel to the blue part, car get cold. Point the wheel to the red part, car get hot. Special button make windshield clear. Much good.
Old 01-15-2002, 03:29 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dial,

Hmmm, MB, BMW, VW, Toyota, Honda, et al. ... so, who do you think really "won" WWII?

My '87 Carrera came with the "automatic climate control" option. Instead of levers between the seats (a la my '68 VW bug), I've got a dial on the center console between the seats, which is supposed to open & close the heater flaps. But, methinks the little levers worked better.

Richard
'87 Carrera 3.6 L
Old 01-15-2002, 03:45 PM
Chris Blum
Advanced

Cool

For sale:

Automatic climate control for 87 carrera. Will trade for used SSIs, recaro racing seats, or set of alloy wheels.

Contact Chris Blum
Old 01-15-2002, 04:41 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

you got it ALMOST right... we're (sometimes drinking) Porsche engineer wannabes drunk with influence.
Old 01-15-2002, 07:20 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Chris,

Before offering your first born, you should know that Porsche's idea for "automatic temperature control" in an '87 911 wasn't anything that exotic. It's a dial situated on the console between the seats, with settings "1" through "9", maybe "10" (I think, I should go out to the car and look), with the last three numbers on a red background with a defogger symbol (meaning "real hot", I guess).

When you select any of the last (red) numbers, you can hear and feel the defroster blowing out of the windshield vents.

AC is still operated like the non-automatic cars, with the 2 dials, viz., temperature and fan. I have removed my AC at the time of the 3.6 L conversion; starting to get serious here, so future cooling is limted to windows and sun roof.

When it comes to HVAC, my winter car (and now my really hot summer days car), an '01 Jetta VR6, is light years ahead of my favorite car. But, with no snow and no salt on the roads here in the metropolitan NY area, which car do you think I'm driving today?

Richard
'87 Carrera 3.6 L
Old 01-16-2002, 03:41 PM
WJG2
Intermediate

Great thread! Can anyone tell me how to get max heat from my 77 targa which is essential up here in the wilds of Canada? I've got three levers in the dash, and the two handles between the seats. The targa part takes care of cooling, of course...Thanks.
Old 01-16-2002, 09:53 PM
r22tek
Advanced

WJG2-Max heat = both red levers pulled up all the way; lowest sliding lever on the dash set at midpoint(hot air to the floor AND the windshield); other (2) levers set to the left. If you have a dial between the seats-rotate it all the way clockwise.

Quick Reply: Who designed 911 climate controls?