whinning, clonking noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2002, 11:47 AM
Millzeee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post whinning, clonking noise

right my 85 3.2 carrera has a problem

when i turn to the left i was getting a whinning noise from the rear of the car this has been gradually getting worse and has started making a kinda clonking noise now

any ideas, it seems like it might be a rear wheel bearing it only does it when cornering one way, and thats when the wheel has load on it

if it was the diff i would have thought it would do it going round corners both ways, i suppose the clonking could possible be a cv joint but wouldn't that clonk all the time as well???
Old 08-19-2002, 01:33 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you are on the right track with your self-assessment.

My guess would be your CV joints are the problem, but bad rear bearings is also very likely.

When was the last time you serviced your CV's and rear bearings? Are there any torn CV boots? Also, visually check to see if any of the hex bolts on the CV's are loose or missing. If you recently re-packed your CV's and the boots and bolts are OK, then it's probably the bearings.

Additionally, do you have any movement when wiggling the rear wheels when grasped at the 12 and 6 o'clock positions (brake pads removed).

Bruce
Old 08-19-2002, 01:51 PM
Millzeee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there is a bit of play on the rear wheel bearings and at my last service the guy said they would need replacing at some time.

so i reckon thats where the whinning is coming from and will check my cv joints.

Quick Reply: whinning, clonking noise